is there such a headphone with the grado bass slam and hd580's soundstage?
May 6, 2005 at 3:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

eitook

100+ Head-Fier
Upgraditis hits once again! Is there such a hybrid headphone which encompasses the great grado bass slam (felt with the flats) with the sennheiser's great soundstage imaging?

After taking a 6 month break away from the grados, I guess what i really missed about them was just the bass slam and nothing else since the comfort leaves a lot to be desired. Would the beyerdynamic dt770-80 or heck, even the sony sa5k do it for me?? What I really liked about the hd580s were the incredible comfort and the dreamy spatial sound it gives out.

p.s. Plsss don't say the elusive 650/zu as this combination is way out of my budget.

May 6, 2005 at 3:03 AM Post #2 of 43
Is there a God?

May 6, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #3 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by PTheD
Is there a God?

hahaha.....
It would have been really swell to merge the 2 great attributes of the different cans together. Just imagine how gobsmackingly good it would be!!
icon10.gif

May 6, 2005 at 3:27 AM Post #6 of 43
eitook
HI: The Beta C-Pads increase the bass and sound stage on the Grados plus great comfort.

May 6, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #7 of 43
Uh...wellllll....this might violate audiophile statutes, but, my HD650s broke in about a week ago and now all my music sounds better, even my mp3s, and I am listening to every last one of them over again. I'm listening to Bread's "The Air That I Breathe" with the bass tweaked up +7dB on Winamp at 60Hz and I can feel the warm California wind blowing over my neck and just open deep space in front of me. Smoooth silky smoooooth. And I guess I've gotten used to the head clamp effect.
confused.gif
eggosmile.gif

May 6, 2005 at 6:40 AM Post #9 of 43
I think the MDR-XD400 may fill in that in a pinch. It's certainly has a very visceral bass along with wide soundstage. Mind you, I've not experienced neither the Grado Bass nor the HD580 SoundStage, but if in a comprimise, I think the XD400 will do in a pinch.

Other than that... hmm... Get the Grados and the HD580, mush them up together and hope for the best? Play some Barry White, romantic up the mood in the room, and see if anything clicks.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 6, 2005 at 7:06 AM Post #11 of 43
The Grados have bass slam ?
graphCompare.php

Then DT 770, DT 990 or DJX-1 must be heaven for you. They also have a huge soundstage.

May 6, 2005 at 7:58 AM Post #12 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by E.B.M.Head
The Grados have bass slam ?
graphCompare.php

Then DT 770, DT 990 or DJX-1 must be heaven for you. They also have a huge soundstage.

Either that or major headache from excessive bass..
icon10.gif

May 6, 2005 at 11:58 AM Post #13 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
I think the DT770-80 could be your best bet. It has a lot more low bass than the Grados, and lacks their characteristic midrange spike that makes guitars sound so sweet, but it does have a bigger soundstage than most Grados, and more bass slam than you can shake a stick at.

Yeah i was sorta counting on this little gut feeling i have. When you say a bigger soundstage, is it comparable to that of a hd580?

May 6, 2005 at 11:59 AM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
There are some headphones out there that can do soundstage like senns, but there are no headphones that can do bass like grados.
biggrin.gif

i was afraid to hear this.
icon10.gif

May 6, 2005 at 12:00 PM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
Yes, and no. If you can find the bass-heavy version of the long discontinued AKG K340 and do some rather extensive modifications to it, it is possible.

AKG k340? thanks for bringing this option up. I'll keep a look out for this whenever possible
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back