Is there something wrong with my new amp? (Schiit Magni)
Aug 29, 2014 at 9:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

DaWolf1205

New Head-Fier
First off,  I'd like to mention that the Schiit Magni + Modi (optical) is my first amp+DAC, and I use the HD598.

I have two problems:
About every hour or so, I will start hearing a cracking/buzzing sound on the right side through the headphones. This can last anywhere from 3 to 10 seconds. Sometimes the sound will stay until I move around the power cable on the back of the Magni. I feel like the problem may be happening more frequently now.
The second problem involves the heat. If I don't leave the air conditioner on all day, this amp can get very very hot. I don't really have a way to record the temperature though. Is this normal?

Below are the troubleshooting steps I've used to determine that the problem must be coming from the amp.
I have tried three different setups to find out if the problem was coming from the amp, the DAC or anything else:
1. PC sound card (Asus Xonar DSX) --> Toslink Optical output to Schiit Modi --> PYST RCA cables to Schiit Magni --> HD598
2. Playstation 3 RCA output ---> Schiit Magni ---> HD598. This way I can test the amp separately from the DAC, the Toslink optical cable, or the sound card.
3. PC --> HD598

With the first two setups, the cracking/buzzing sound still happens randomly. The headphones work perfectly fine when connected directly to the computer.

Aug 29, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #2 of 2
  First off,  I'd like to mention that the Schiit Magni + Modi (optical) is my first amp+DAC, and I use the HD598.

I have two problems:
About every hour or so, I will start hearing a cracking/buzzing sound on the right side through the headphones. This can last anywhere from 3 to 10 seconds. Sometimes the sound will stay until I move around the power cable on the back of the Magni. I feel like the problem may be happening more frequently now.
The second problem involves the heat. If I don't leave the air conditioner on all day, this amp can get very very hot. I don't really have a way to record the temperature though. Is this normal?

Below are the troubleshooting steps I've used to determine that the problem must be coming from the amp.
I have tried three different setups to find out if the problem was coming from the amp, the DAC or anything else:
1. PC sound card (Asus Xonar DSX) --> Toslink Optical output to Schiit Modi --> PYST RCA cables to Schiit Magni --> HD598
2. Playstation 3 RCA output ---> Schiit Magni ---> HD598. This way I can test the amp separately from the DAC, the Toslink optical cable, or the sound card.
3. PC --> HD598

With the first two setups, the cracking/buzzing sound still happens randomly. The headphones work perfectly fine when connected directly to the computer.

Contact Schiit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back