Is there something wrong with my IE80s or are they just not that good?
Apr 17, 2014 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Joeysaur

New Head-Fier
I just bought the above mentioned IEMs and I'm really disappointed in the sound. With the way everyone raves about them I expected to be wowed but they just sound so unclear. I'd say they are a tiny smidge better than my sony MH755s that came with my phone and world's behind my HD 380 pros. I know the HD 380 pros are supposed to be studio headphones so clarity is sort of their forte but I still expected an upgrade at least in some fields and the IE80s lose in every way.

I researched the fakes of these IEMs and everything points to these being real, nice packaging, space above the 'd' in sound and a nice curve on the 'S' on the protective case.

Apr 17, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #3 of 6
1. Doesn't it have a knob for opening up the port for more bass? It might be on max setting.

2. How clean are your ears? Treble and midrange are the first to suffer from earwax, especially with something like some Sennheisers where the midrange isn't tipped up and the treble is for the most part flat (or with only a relatively narrow and not too high spike somewhere). Right after my annual check up with my ENT (as I've pushed wax deeper into my own ears several times before so he does it himself now) my HD600 are a little bit too bright for me actually.

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #5 of 6
But wouldn't dirty ears affect the sound of all headphones similarly though?

Of course, but there's the possibility that if indeed that was the problem, then you are hearing the other headphone through that issue for longer. When I went for my annual ENT check up last year even if I didn't have another Q-tip incident I still came home and found my HD600 a touch too bright, so I swapped out the pads and gave them a rest. What I cannot be sure about is whether putting them back on a a month later and the sound was smoother was due to the pads fluffing up a bit or from my ears accumulating earwax again (then again, I've tried going back to my ENT within three months, and he said once a year was enough).

Quote:
And I've tried the dials in every different position my eyes can distinguish.

If that's the case you probably just need to get a different IEM. Note how those rave reviews are affected by two things. First, human ears don't have the same uniform response as test microphones, and variances at times need to be severe so as to be noticed by people,* which explains why people will sometimes argue pointlessly over whetehr the K701 is "detailed" or "bright" in the same way that some hear the midrange just fine. Second, past physical differences, there are preferences. Some of those raving about the IE8/80 might be focused on the bass for example. Related to preferences is how the brain processes the sound (ie what you see isn't all that you actually see) - more than just one sound or frequency range being louder, for some the brain can really focus on that louder range and not hear the rest.

*I know someone who needs $10,000 hearing aids that not only make the sound louder, but applies an EQ profile. Off-axis midrange response of his ears are actually horrible - if he's driving you can't keep him awake by talking to him unless you turn your head to face his ears, and when he talks to people, he really has to face them to have both ears picking up the sound and get clear details on words. Earphones and headphones also have a drastically better (though still skewed) response vs speakers.

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #6 of 6
I bought a set of IE80s after owning some Shure 3xx series and Turbine Coppers and yeah, my first thought was "meh...". I do think they're overpriced but they're still a good IEM. I find them reasonably detailed despite the fact that they're a bit lacking in the treble. Don't mistake treble extension for detail... I did that when I got my Grados and realized that , while they were shimmery and bright, they were missing something in the details in the low end. Sennheisers will do that.

I mostly listen to my Shure 535SE Ltd but get caught in the details and sometimes fail to enjoy the music. The IE80s offer something kind of special in terms of immersion. Great soundstaging for IEMs, non-fatiguing and fun bass although I have mine turned all the way down to help with some of the muddling in the low end.

I don't like them for metal and hard rock but dig them for most other genres. If I want an IEM to just chill with and enjoy music I totally dig them. If I had to choose one though, I don't think these would be it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back