Is there resheling service for IEMs that employs 3D printing and digital ear impression?
Sep 11, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #3 of 12
No

Sep 11, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #5 of 12
The device to create the "Point Cloud" inside your ear is super expensive. The 3D printers are cheaper but does not create a nice glossy finish. Most people are dipping them after printing them to create the nice smooth finish. 

There are places who will 3D print them from an ear mold. 

Sep 12, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #7 of 12
What is dipping? Can you explain?

Taking the shell and immersing it in liquid acrylic then hardening it. This allows it to have a smooth finish they can buff to create a shine.

Sep 12, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #9 of 12
Doesn't that make it slightly bigger? Do UE and 64 use this method? Or do they have very advanced printer that saves the trouble?

Ue has a pretty advanced equipment. I am not sure about 64.

Sep 12, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #10 of 12
Correct. UE is using a very very expensive machine and since they are charging a premium they can do it.  I think since Knowles and Sonion are making their drivers available on sites like Mouser and Digikey you will see a bunch of smaller shops open soon.

You can already find exact copies of several Shure models as you can get a repair shell and put the same drivers in it but at a significantly lower price. 

Sep 13, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #11 of 12
My experience with ciems made from traditional ear impression is horrible. So I hate that way. My thinking is that I can buy second hand ciems and reshell them at shop that supports digital ear impression. Then the end result would be like the same as purchasing directly from 64 or UE. This will save a lot of money. Again, there needs to be one such reshelling shop first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back