Is there other way to recognize an Imod other than the badge?
Jun 15, 2007 at 3:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Bolardito

500+ Head-Fier
Is there any way other than the badge to recognize the 5.5 gen Imod ?. This because I received my Imod a few days ago but I´m not perceiving the HUGE difference in SQ most people seem to get vs. using he regular line out or even using the headphone jack.! I notice less sibiliance and hiss when using the Imod but other than that not much difference.

I'm using the regular Alo Cryo dock for the Imdo

Could Vinnie forgot to actually mod my thing or could be that is not burnt in yet ?
blink.gif

I don't know if I was expecting too much or what or if there is any problem with my Imod arghh

Jun 16, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #2 of 13
Remember the 5.5 iModded iPod headphone jack is not changed. You will hear the same before and after the iMod when using the headphone jack.

Now, to get use the iMod you need a 5/5.5 iMod Dock from ALO. It has to be one of the new Dock specifically made for the iModde iPod and labeled as such. DO NOT USE AN OLD ALO DOCK WITH THE IMODDED 5/5.5 IPOD.

Finally the iModded iPod and the 5/5.5 iMod specific ALO dock need about 200 hours of burn in to achieve its optimun sound.

Jun 16, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #3 of 13
Yes, but honestly I heard a very big difference right away! Vocals were much more lifelike, sibilance was reduced, bass tighter, and the overall presentation was just more lifelike and realistic.

Jun 16, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #4 of 13
Thanks, Guys!

I sent Bolardito a PM.

Just to point out... I do NOT apply the iMod badge until after the 5G/5.5G iMod has been both modified and then tested
cool.gif

Best regards,

Vinnie

EDIT: One more thing... besides the badge, the only way to tell if your 5G/5.5G iPod has been modded is if you open the unit up to see the mod (the Cardas wires that connect the DAC directly to the Dock connector). NOTE -- I DO NOT recommend opening it up... it is extremely fragile and very easy to damage something if you don't know exactly what you are doing in there, and I DO NOT warranty iMods that have been opened for this reason.

If you need a battery replaced, a screen replaced, or whatever, I will be happy to do this for you FREE of charge if you provide the part (and I'll be happy to find the part for you, as I know all the part numbers and good places online to get them)....for as long as you own your iMod. Having me repair your iMod will save you a lot of potential grief and a lot of expense than someone trying to open it and damaging the fragile board, pads, traces, or who knows what else!

Jun 16, 2007 at 3:37 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinnie R. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, Guys!

I sent Bolardito a PM.

Just to point out... I do NOT apply the iMod badge until after the 5G/5.5G iMod has been both modified and then tested
cool.gif

Best regards,

Vinnie

EDIT: One more thing... besides the badge, the only way to tell if your 5G/5.5G iPod has been modded is if you open the unit up to see the mod (the Cardas wires that connect the DAC directly to the Dock connector). NOTE -- I DO NOT recommend opening it up... it is extremely fragile and very easy to damage something if you don't know exactly what you are doing in there, and I DO NOT warranty iMods that have been opened for this reason.

If you need a battery replaced, a screen replaced, or whatever, I will be happy to do this for you FREE of charge if you provide the part (and I'll be happy to find the part for you, as I know all the part numbers and good places online to get them)....for as long as you own your iMod. Having me repair your iMod will save you a lot of potential grief and a lot of expense than someone trying to open it and damaging the fragile board, pads, traces, or who knows what else!

Thanks for your reply and concern Vinnie. I guess I have to fully burn in the cable. I also ordered the Imod Super Cotton Dock which supposedly is more open and detailed

Jun 16, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #7 of 13
I think Supper Cotton dock is airy, open, huge soundstage, detailed and instrument separition are incredible. But you need better AMPs and IEMs to enjoy the full potiontal of iMod.

Jun 17, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #9 of 13
Yes what amp and IEMS or Cans are you using?

If you say Apple earbuds and a booostaroo Im gonna kill myself! Which many would enjoy around here! Please dont say it please!!!

Jun 17, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolardito /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using Tomahawk + E500. I guess that's decent enough to work properly ?

You should def notice a huge improvment there. The E500's do have quite a bit of rolled of highs. I not excusing the fact you should notice but IEMS or cans with the ability to recognize the upper register will make the iMOD even MORE noticable.

Jun 17, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have read that the E500 have rolled off highs. But I do not hear so, out of my LaRocco PRII MkII, SR71, or at home out of a Mapletree Ear + Purist HD100. What gives?
confused.gif

I thought this was common knowledge.

Maybe your ears are just not that sensitive to high freqs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back