Is there no good microphone solution for existing headphones?
Oct 30, 2014 at 11:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

S3lvah

New Head-Fier
Hi! I'm looking for a headphone+microphone combination to replace my Siberia V2s. (No more gaming headsets...) I stumbled upon the Samson SR850s which in the headphone buyers' guide were very highly praised for their price. (Opinions? I enjoy high-quality audio and listen mostly to metal but also calm, instrumental music.) That still leaves me lacking a microphone though.

Now here's where it gets particular: I need a microphone solution that picks up my voice, but not much else. I need to be able to use it with Voice Activation enabled on TeamSpeak, etc. so that it will never activate from keyboard rattle and mouse clicks while easily activating from my voice. This is really important for my (voice-intensive) gaming, and it's why using my Snowball iCe or other such table-top microphone is out of the question. Less essential but still preferable qualities are decent sound quality and a low level of white noise.

I was recommended the Zalman ZM-Mic 1 which is about 10 bucks and has great audio quality, but I would almost definitely need some sort of DIY-solution for it because it's a cord clip-on mic and I always keep my headphones' cord behind my shoulder rather than running down my torso. I've also been recommended the AntLion Mod Mic but it costs $50 and has the sound quality of a $5 mic... 'Nuff said.

So basically:
- Gonna get Samson SR850s for gaming and music. Agree with this? (Please don't just blindly recommend your headphones over this unless you're sure it's better value than this.)
- Need a Mod-Mic-like solution for gaming with the following traits:
--> Decent sound quality for its price
--> Doesn't excitedly lap up all sound around me; I'm using Voice Activation on TeamSpeak, not Push-to-talk, so this is important. Would this be called noise-cancellation?
--> Doesn't have a ton of white noise.
--> Preferably has a gooseneck and can be latched in some way to the side of headphones, so it's actually located closer to my mouth; further from my keyboard.

I know it seems like I'm asking for a lot...but I know someone must have struggled with the same issue. Someone who doesn't just want to buy a crappy headset to use in gaming, and then keep switching between that and their audiophile headphones (or buy an audiophile headset which costs heaps more than headphones + mic separately).

Oct 30, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 2
I guess the vmoda boom pro is out of the question as well with the Samson's, as they don't have a detachable cable.

The SR850, if anything like the Superlux HD681 or the other models such as the evos, then they are a pretty good bang for the buck.
You might want to get some more comfortable ear pads in the long run. AKG 2xx series pads fit nicely. I use 240 velour pads on my HD681.

About the mic. You want a directional mic, instead of an Omnidirectional one, such as the blue you have now might be. There are loads of cheapish options, but not as cheap as modmic in total with amps and cables.

I had a cheap mic from deal extreme once, that worked pretty well. Looked like a miniature mic, with a small stand. It had two small capsule mics inside.
Maybe you could DIY a solution for this. Cable + capsule + flexible wire + sleeving?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back