Is there DAP comparison chart anywhere?
Jan 17, 2006 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tmann

100+ Head-Fier
My head hurts from trying to research these things. Is there a comparison anywhere indicating which features they have and plusses and minuses of different ones? (not likely, I guess).

If not, would it be possible for one of you experts on here give a brief +/- of whatever ones you can? (Cowan iAudio X5L and comparable Creative and iRiver models, or any others like Dell, Samsung, ipod, etc. etc.).

I am only concerned with AUDIO quality/features (not video) and reliability: SOUND QUALITY, gaps, EQ adjustment; organization of files; battery life, HD issues, etc.

I am tempted to get the Karma even though Rio doesn't exist, but I'm trying to figure out what the others have to offer.

Jan 18, 2006 at 2:58 AM Post #2 of 5
I can only say the +/- of the X5 for certain (and the Zen Micro, but I guess you don't need to hear that)

+ FLAC and .ogg support
+ File organization by folder (and id3 tag if you upgrade firmware). This gives you more control over your files
+ Strong headphone output: 20mW x 20mW @ 16ohm
+ Great battery life in the L versions, but not so great in the regular versions, especially with lossless files
+ Other features like photo/video support, FM tuner, recording, but who the hell cares honestly...

- Line-out is lousy and on a flimsy mini-dock, not the player itself
- SQ is not any better than other HDD players, though not any worse
- Bright, steely treble, though not as bad as some players
- Limited dynamic range, sounds flat, though this is a DAP problem in general
- EQ cannot be pushed into loss, only into gain. Result = EQ distorts
- Not gapless

In your place, I'd get the Karma - or two of them, in case one dies - or a iRiver 120/140 and Rockbox firmware, which adds FLAC/ogg support and (I think) gapless playback. The iRivers also have optical line-outs which is great if you want to use a standalone DAC. I haven't heard them, so no +/- comparison for me.

Have you heard of the new Kenwood line? The HD20GA7 and HD30GA9. They sound like they may be the ticket: a digital amp, gapless playback in wave and Kenwood's own lossless codec, a supposedly good custom EQ, and very good sound quality with a warm overall tonal balance. They're pricey as hell and you'll have to import them from Japan. Do a search, there's a very good HD20GA7 review here. The headphone output is very weak though (6mW x 6mW @ 16 ohm), so you more or less have to use canalphones with them if you want good sound unamped.

The JVC Alneo XA-HD500 supposedly sounds very good too, but it's only a compact 6GB player.

Jan 18, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #3 of 5
I can't comment on the current line up of ipods but I can say that the reliability of my ipod mini(s) has been poor.

We have two; both scroll wheels broke, one at 10 months(replaced free under warranty), the other at 13 months(no warranty). The newest (3 mos. old) replacement's hard drive just failed--at least according to the phone tech. I went to the apple store, the "geniuses" at the "concierge station" were no longer helping any customers for the rest of the day--6 hours left 'til closing. Apparently they are pretty busy.

Now I wait for Apple support to mail me an empty box to ship my broken ipod back to them where they will examine it in about 7-10 days. Luckily this mini has the extended warranty($69 I think) so the repair is free but I am without a player in the meantime.

Sorry about the rant.

Jan 18, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by vidas7de7jesus7
dapreview.net
click on dap database
choose your poison from the drop down menu's and...
whala! side by side comparison.

cool - thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back