Is there anywhere to lookup headphone reviews?
Nov 11, 2010 at 12:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

noingwhat

New Head-Fier
Is there a website somewhere that will show detailed headphone reviews from a very wide selection. Two big things I would like to see is consistant customer reviews (some places, customers love one pair, other places they say they hate that same pair). And the other thing I would like to see is the charts that show the db vs frequency.

Thanks for your help!

Nov 11, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #2 of 17

Quote:
Is there a website somewhere that will show detailed headphone reviews from a very wide selection. Two big things I would like to see is consistant customer reviews (some places, customers love one pair, other places they say they hate that same pair). And the other thing I would like to see is the charts that show the db vs frequency.

Thanks for your help!

Anythingbutipod.com

Nov 11, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #3 of 17
Nov 11, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #4 of 17

Quote:
Headroom has a lot stats and small mini review on products.
If you want consumer reports, you can always try the search engine and read up on the pros and cons of headphones..A lot of people go in to great details. Joker compared alot of iems
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-115-iems-compared-monster-miles-davis-tribute-added-10-17
I'm not sure exactly what type of headphones you're looking for but GL and welcome to headfi and sorry about your wallet

1+ Joker reviews are great, only thing I can say is he favors a more analytical approach. If you favor bass when he starts saying alot then you in the right direction. Acceptable to him is minor to me.

Nov 11, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #5 of 17
Yup, its all up to personal preference for the most part..A lot of people have stuck to dynamics because they think BAs give them to much of an analytical sound. Its always to build a setup around your ideal sound signature.

btw Cnet.com is a very reputable source. You just kind of got to pick and choose..luckily they have a editor and consumer rating

Nov 11, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #6 of 17

Quote:
Yup, its all up to personal preference for the most part..A lot of people have stuck to dynamics because they think BAs give them to much of an analytical sound. Its always to build a setup around your ideal sound signature.

btw Cnet.com is a very reputable source. You just kind of got to pick and choose..luckily they have a editor and consumer rating

Cnet is not that reputable of a place for reviews. There are some decent ones but usually its a hit or miss and more often than not for me it is a miss.

Also your perception of BA and dynamics are not true. Dynamics can be just as analytical as a BA. My sound signature is closer to the analytical type and I only have dynamic earphones that are universal.

Nov 11, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #7 of 17
I think thats also true..an example being the etymotic mc5 which is still a very analytical phone despite being a dynamic. As for Cnet ,its not the most reputable but they have done some good stuff here and there hence pick and choose=hit and miss

Nov 11, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #8 of 17

Quote:
Cnet is not that reputable of a place for reviews. There are some decent ones but usually its a hit or miss and more often than not for me it is a miss.

Also your perception of BA and dynamics are not true. Dynamics can be just as analytical as a BA. My sound signature is closer to the analytical type and I only have dynamic earphones that are universal.

I agree with both of you, Cnet is good/bad, also on the Dynamic can be just as analytical as a Ba, I agree. This is a good thing because then you still have some qualities of the Dynamic. E-q7 is often said to said like a mix, and for me the Pana/DBA do it to a certain extent. 

Nov 11, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Thanks for your help!

Amazon.com has some very good user reviews, if you wade past the "Just got it and its awesome!" examples. That's probably one of the best places to get an idea of long-term reliability (second to this forum, of course). The obvious limitation is that they only review what they sell (Duh!), and there are MANY great IEMs not sold by Amazon.

You've already gotten a link to Joker's incredible set of "short" reviews and some understanding of his bias (to which he admits frequently). Once you home in on a few good ones that suite your preferred sound signature and budget (see the Tables in Post #8 of that thread to save time), search for in-depth review and appreciation threads.

As far as dB versus frequency plots, we've seen many examples that clearly show that they are only valuable when compared from the same source, tested identically, and then only as a relative measure.

I'm in the "Don't bother with CNet" camp, having once thought those were great.

Nov 12, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #10 of 17
I have just read (part of) Joker's reviews, and I absolutely love it! Did he do something similar to this for Circumaural headphones? There are a few I have been looking at, as my current pair is being held together with some glue, and I am not sure how long they will last.

Nov 12, 2010 at 5:56 AM Post #11 of 17
Joker's reviews are awesome, as well as Shigzeo's reviews which he hosts here and at at a site he writes for, touchmyapps. Of course, there are ClieOS's reviews - the member here who really got me into this forum with his excellent roundup of a lot of consumer IEM models. He puts his reviews up at inearmatters as well. There are plenty of other members here who have written extensively. (Kudos to them all :) )

Lastly you could always try headfonia as well?

Nov 12, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #12 of 17

Quote:
Joker's reviews are awesome, as well as Shigzeo's reviews which he hosts here and at at a site he writes for, touchmyapps. Of course, there are ClieOS's reviews - the member here who really got me into this forum with his excellent roundup of a lot of consumer IEM models. He puts his reviews up at inearmatters as well. There are plenty of other members here who have written extensively. (Kudos to them all :) )

+1 on ClieOS's threads

Nov 12, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #13 of 17
 I also love to read ClieOS' reviews. Somehow, I like them more then joker's, but that's just personal preference. I wonder how ClieOS will review Brainwavz M3.
Like someone earlier wrote, both seem to prefer analytical over warm/low-centered. Just don't forget that you can't simply compare the review grades and conclude that the one with the better review will be better for you. I once compared my Beta Brainwavz to my friend's Sennheiser IE8, and somehow I didn't enjoy them that much (although that might be different today).
Quote:

+1 on ClieOS's threads

Nov 12, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #14 of 17
I generally find ClieOS' reviews to be more neutral and focuses more on description than the score to push the point he is making. Joker's is a bit biased toward his music preference, and is not as descriptive with phrases like "good bass" or "better bass". Joker's reviews however do give a very nice overview of the headphone's performance, and I usually think his value evaluation is pretty spot on.

Both have their strength and weaknesses, and I bookmark both of them for reference whenever I'm looking at a new set of cans. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back