Is there anywhere to get CDs resurfaced?
Jan 28, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Meguair's Plastic Polish and Cleaner. Get it at the hardware store.

See ya
Steve

I have tried all those solutions, Brasso is also reco, and none of them work, I still have the Radio Shack machine around in some place, if the CD is really scratched and damaged, or if you are like me, an obsessed that want the CD mirror finished like new, resurfacing them is the only way to go, or replacing them...

Jan 28, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #17 of 26
I only care if the CD will play. I have mirrors to comb my hair in.

See ya
Steve

Jan 28, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Brasso is also reco, and none of them work

Oh, I have to disagree with this. I have repaired scores of audio CDs with Brasso, and even upon close inspection, it's quite hard to tell that they've ever been scratched or repaired for that matter. So, in all seriousness, I would invite Sovkiller to send me a scratched audio CD (as long as the top side of the disc isn't damaged in any way) and I will repair it for free.

Jan 28, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ori /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That process is called "error correction"... 50% of the data on the CD is just for correcting errors

That only applies to data discs, not audio CDs.

Jan 28, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #20 of 26
You guys got me thinking, so I may be able to use my Porter Cable random orbital buffer I use on my car to polish my old scratched CD's and DVD's?

Hmm...I'm thinking a fine polishing pad with mild plastic polish may work as mentioned above...now to rig something to safely hold the disc down while I polish...my wife's going to have a good laugh.

Jan 28, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I only care if the CD will play. I have mirrors to comb my hair in.

See ya
Steve

I do not, that is why I use my CDs to comb my hair in the morning...
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, I have to disagree with this. I have repaired scores of audio CDs with Brasso, and even upon close inspection, it's quite hard to tell that they've ever been scratched or repaired for that matter. So, in all seriousness, I would invite Sovkiller to send me a scratched audio CD (as long as the top side of the disc isn't damaged in any way) and I will repair it for free.

The CDs that are repaired by Brasso trust me that in a good reader/player will play...light scratches are easily remove, but the abrassion will leave anothers, trust me on that, and I can do a test with you anytime...that the result is not even similar...As a side note, let me tell you that I sent three times a CD to that company I listed above, becasue the CD was not up to my standards, as I requested and paid double for mirror finish, I doubt that you will Brasso will get that finish, sorry...

BTW my CDs rarely get scratched, that one was used, a hard to find one, that I got it in that condition, and after the repair it is now like new...

What I have seen in this board, and is really curious to me, that guys that spend $10,000 on a CD player, and gear associated, are unable to manipulate a CD correctly, and all the CDs they have around, are a real shame. I don't know but I learned from my childhood to care about some things, and music, LPs, CDs, cassettes, VHS, clothes, cars, etc...were part of those things i learned to care about...as a side note I never lend CDs to anybody, not even to my wife...

Jan 28, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my CDs rarely get scratched, that one was used, a hard to find one, that I got it in that condition, and after the repair it is now like new...

Since 1989, when I bought my very first audio CD, I have never scratched any of mine. I have bought quite a number of hard-to-find CDs used, however, and they've often been scratched--some of them looking like the surface of an ice rink after the 2nd period of a Finland vs. Sweden hockey game.

That said, when I repair these scratched CDs, the process doesn't stop with the Brasso application and buffing. I would never openly offer to resurface a CD for someone if I didn't take pride in the results of my work.

Someday I will take the time to make before and after scans of one of the CDs I repair, or even commit the process to video to host on my website.

Jan 28, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audio CDs have error correction too.

Correct, but much less of it (just C1 and C2) and applied at a lower level than is the case with the large amount of data used for ECC on data discs.

Jan 29, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #25 of 26
Meguiars is a two step process... a polish pass, then a fine polish. I don't see any buff marks when I use it.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back