Is there anyone who's gone back to solid state after trying tubes?
Feb 13, 2004 at 12:24 AM Post #16 of 51
I have a couple of Marantz' (SS) and a Fisher 400 (tube) that I've been playing with to get the sound I want. I like the Fisher best because it's midrange is awesome. To me, music sounds the most realistic through it. If I want to listen to music I use a Marantz. If I want to sit on stage with the band I use the Fisher.

If I'm just listening for a short time I use one of the Marantz units. If I have a few hours to kill I use the Fisher since it seems to take a while to warm up and sound it's best. I also don't like to torture the Fisher by turning it on and off constantly.

So, why not have both??

Feb 13, 2004 at 2:11 PM Post #18 of 51
I went from a tube preamp (Conrad Johnson) to a solid state preamp (Harmon Kardon) because the HK was less bright and smoother and a better match for my amp. That's not what people would normally think about tube vs solid state but, to me, it shows that a designer can sonically shape the sound of either technology in the way he likes.

Feb 14, 2004 at 12:18 PM Post #20 of 51
Personally, I think that there is room for both in a good system, whether headphone or not.

I have both, and enjoy both, in my headphone rig. My speaker rig has SS only, but not for long (Fisher 500). I do have to admit that there are times when I really enjoy the thump and sheer muscle of big SS amps. An old housemate of mine had a pair of HUGE SS McIntosh power amps, and they were something to behold when turned up loud!!

If you're like me and love lush midrange, tubes are for you. If you're like me, and like a strong, forward presentation, SS is for you.
biggrin.gif

Feb 14, 2004 at 12:43 PM Post #21 of 51
Since using the Singlepower amp(SDS) I doubt I will ever go back to SS. Or any other tube amps either.
For speaker systems I'm sold on tubed cdp's and preamps with SS mega watt amps.

Feb 14, 2004 at 11:51 PM Post #22 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by tom hankins
Since using the Singlepower amp(SDS) I doubt I will ever go back to SS. Or any other tube amps either.

At this point, I'm joining you in that club. I didn't need a DBT to tell me the difference between my own PPA and the HAP-03 at Hirsch's meet. It smacked me upside the head. I now own an MPX3 (Habib's then Sacdlover's) and I love it. It has a certain body and je ne ces't quois (or is it joie de vivre?) that the PPA just can't touch. For now, the MPX3 is the only thing I'll be listening to. I'll be immersing myself in tubes for a while. Eventually I'll have to figure out how to afford a Supra.

Feb 15, 2004 at 4:41 PM Post #24 of 51
I currently have the supposed dream combo Earmax Pro and CD3000, and the sound is warm and mellow but I always end up falling asleep, no matter what music I listen to :-/

I'll probably sell the EMP and go SS in the near future. I'll post an ad in the For Sale forum soon but if anyone is really interested, just send me a PM.

Feb 16, 2004 at 1:15 AM Post #25 of 51
a bit OT,

but where DOES one get brand new EMPs from?

confused.gif

Feb 16, 2004 at 10:48 PM Post #26 of 51
Get the best of both worlds.

Get a good clean SS amp/power amp and a pair of speakers with audax drivers. Sweetest midrange I have ever heard.

Sonic bliss.

Feb 16, 2004 at 11:00 PM Post #27 of 51
Well I have sold my X-Can v3 and am going for a Perreaux SXH-1. However, its been said the X-can v3 is hardly a typical tube amp, more like a hybrid, and the SXH-1 supposedly also combines the qualities of both, so it'll be interesting to hear. I just hope the little SXH-1 proves to be as good as the hype
tongue.gif

Feb 16, 2004 at 11:13 PM Post #28 of 51
Yes, I do, good tubes are very hard to find and expensive, good solid state amps are ready available, and will last longer than a good tube, also mainly the good tubes are from 20 years plus ago, which precedence most of the times is a good question???? OTOH transistors and chips are a lot more durable than tubes, and nowadays are also "rollable" as tubes, sound quality? Well this is a long debate, some prefer the tubes, some prefer the SS, the truth, solid state shows most of the times a lot better figures than a tube amp, specially on THD and output rated power....the sound quality is another myth, you can find solid state amps that sounded as good as any tube amp, or even better....another issue is the power consumption, usually tubes waste a lot more energy that SS.....

Feb 16, 2004 at 11:17 PM Post #29 of 51
Finding the old, rare, tubes is half the fun!! I've started a 12AX7/5751 collection
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2004 at 11:48 PM Post #30 of 51
Quote:

Originally posted by Chizzler
Finding the old, rare, tubes is half the fun!! I've started a 12AX7/5751 collection
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, but I warn you, as soon as you find one 5751 Sylvania, black plates triple micas, gold pins, from the 50's, and in NOS status, I will asure you that this fun will go to hell, and you will remember me.....and your wallet will scream like a baby....
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
I can get the best chip available, for one third of this price......or even less....
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back