Is there any way to make the canal of your custom bigger?
Dec 23, 2009 at 2:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mistertomlinson

100+ Head-Fier
I've read of people using acrylic paint or something like that. I even remember fingernail polish being mentioned. Here's my problem, I just got my monitors yesterday and the fit is GREAT when I'm just sitting around or doing some casual activity, but I use them most at work, where I can get pretty vigorous and the seal tends to break ever so slightly every couple of minutes. It's only enough to decrease the bass just a little in the left monitor. So, it would seem it only needs to be a little thicker. Can you guys let me know what can be done? Thanks.

Dec 23, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #2 of 3
given my experience with Tamiya acrylic paints, I'm using Hard As Nails to thicken the canal because nail polish takes much less time to dry than the paint.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm on the fifth coat right now and it definitely feels more snug, so maybe in your case only one or two would be okay? Also, it's a bit easier to control where you want to add more polish/paint. I've left more around the canal than the shell, and the lower viscosity is pretty much where I want it.

So, it doesn't hurt to give it a shot.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 3
I remember one of these Custom IEM makers actually told a customer that the clear nail polish is a good way to go. I was pretty surprised by that at the time but hey, it saves on shipping. I just hope it isn't too noticeable. Wouldn't you end up with brush strokes. Either way removal should be quick and easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back