Is there any way to boost the bass of my Grado sr80i's?
Oct 10, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #16 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, I can't believe I am the only one that suggested flats. It is the quickest and cheapest solution to get more bass out of grados. much cheaper than upgrading an amp and it will definitely increase the bass more than putting even a $3000 amp behind your cans.

OK - pls send me a 3K amp and a pair of flats and I'll give you my feedback on that.

There is absolutely no need to abandon Grado if you want bass impact. My SR325is has more bass impact than any open phones I've heard - beyond that, it gets expensive and/or you need to go to closed phones. I heartily recommend Ultrasone, but many here dislike them intently - only answer is to audition, audition, audition.

Oct 10, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #19 of 48
you may want to try FiiO E5 amp that has bass boost ON/OFF switch ... btw, i use grado soft/comfy pads on ms1 .. bass increased to pleasing level as per my ears

DealExtreme: $17.41 FiiO E5 3.5mm Earphone Volume Booster Power Amplifier (Black) *Pre-order*

if you can try Grado flats pads as sir Donunus has suggested... these pads may also enhance LF octave
wink_face.gif

Grado Flat Pads - $35.00 : TTVJ, Todd The Vinyl Junkie

Oct 10, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #21 of 48
bowls are the best option. I recently bought some because my Donut pads (original donut kind) were rotting. The Donuts had more bass than bowls and I loved them.. wish they would make those again, but now I have to settle for taped Bowls.. cant get soundstage and bass with anything else.

Edit: Would the $35 dollar flat pads be the answer to bass without killing soundstage? I have not heard them, but I and the Op might like a comment

Oct 10, 2009 at 10:56 AM Post #27 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Huckster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit: Would the $35 dollar flat pads be the answer to bass without killing soundstage? I have not heard them, but I and the Op might like a comment

flats have a soundstage similar to comfy pads. less than bowls soundstage

Oct 10, 2009 at 11:46 AM Post #28 of 48
The OP must be so happy he started this war, er, thread about Grado pads. Er, that IS what this thread is about, right ?

I'm happy with the 414s, but if someone tells me they are crap, I will burn them immediately.
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 10, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #29 of 48
hehehe all pads have their pros and cons. No one pad is perfect but some pads might be more balanced with certain models. Ex I don't really love the flat pads because they are too bassy for me. Bowls are too bright and comfies are closer to being just right. Only problem with comfies is the loss of some low level detail.

Oct 10, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #30 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK - pls send me a 3K amp and a pair of flats and I'll give you my feedback on that.

There is absolutely no need to abandon Grado if you want bass impact. My SR325is has more bass impact than any open phones I've heard - beyond that, it gets expensive and/or you need to go to closed phones. I heartily recommend Ultrasone, but many here dislike them intently - only answer is to audition, audition, audition.

What do you attribute the 325i's bass impact too? Was your marantz and amp a big contribution to the impact affect? I am very interested in your thoughts as I found both the SR60 and the SR225 pretty weak in bass impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back