Is there any very good and very relaxing classical music out there?
Mar 23, 2004 at 7:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

LTUCCI1924

Headphoneus Supremus
Is there any very good very relaxing Classical music?
HI: I have a lot of trouble with classical music with the soft and then loud and inconsistent sound. I have a gental classical CD and like it a lot. Is there any very polite and relaxing classical music out there? I know nothing about classical music but like soft relaxing full sound.

Mar 23, 2004 at 8:03 AM Post #3 of 16
Get a collection of Chopins Nocturnes. Peter Katins or Tamas Vasarys are both good. I'm sure there are others. Nice to drift off to sleep to.

Mar 23, 2004 at 4:30 PM Post #5 of 16
hi, may i recommend albinoni's adagio for strings, or bach's the goldberg variations.

iirc, the latter was composed by bach to help a certain count goldberg sleep.
wink.gif

Mar 23, 2004 at 4:38 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by XXhalberstramXX
harpsichord music might be a good idea. there is no possibility for volume change, so the dymanic range doesn't swing about very much.

classical guitar, for the same reason. i reccomend this:
David Russell

I agree! I think Chopin's Nocturnes are too intense to be relaxing, but you should try them and see what you think. Solo instruments are good for headphones too!
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 23, 2004 at 5:39 PM Post #8 of 16
Erik Satie's Gymnopedies immediately spring to mind.

Someone else on this site previously mentioned BBC's Discovering Music radio series - you can listen to their previous eposides over the net. My fiancee and I have been listening to these almost every night for the last month or so - a great way to sample different composers and learn in the meanwhile: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/classical/discovernew.shtml

Chamber music in general doesn't have the dynamics of symphonic music.

Some other suggestions:

Alexander Borodin's Second String Quartet. You might also want to try Borodin's "In the Steppes of Central Asia" which is really beautiful (but it has a somewhat lively section).

Aaron Copland - Appalachian Spring. Nice ballet-style music.

Edward Elgar's Cello Concerto in E minor, Op. 85.

Ralph Vaughn Williams - The Lark Ascending

If you eventually want to try some more dynamic stuff like a real symphony, I think you might like my absolute favorite, Dvorak's 8th symphony (his 7th and 9th are good too).

Good luck, and let us know what you like!

Mar 29, 2004 at 4:45 PM Post #15 of 16
Some possibilities:
  1. The Brandenberg concertos by J. S. Bach
  2. The chamber music of Mozart (especially the string quintets), and his wind concertos.
  3. Chamber music by Schubert, especially the Quintets and the Aripeggione Sonata.
  4. Songs Without Words (piano music) by Mendelssohn
  5. The Piano Trio and the String Quartet by Ravel
  6. Pavane by Faure
  7. Vocalise by Rachmaninov

Users who are viewing this thread

Back