Is there any type of 'consensus' as to what is the best CASSETTE ADAPTER for a car?
Jul 4, 2010 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

cruizin caleb

100+ Head-Fier
I use a 2002 Toyota Camry with premium JBL speakers (which, though they are very good for stock car speakers, is farrr from audiophile quality). I find they are very very deep and 'powerful' but fairly muddy. They have tape/CDplayer/radio.

I used I've used many different CASSETTE ADAPTERS to connect with my iPod - that is good enough for me, not going to do something involving auxiliary. Some have been good, some have been bad, some have been dreadful.

My current one recently got a short in it, so i'm getting a new one. Is there any type of 'consensus' as to what is the best CASSETTE ADAPTER for a car? Don't want to spend more than $20some.

Jul 5, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #2 of 7
Not sure really, as it's hard to use stock car stereos to reference quality of sound.

But I can tell you that I used an unknown brand, then months later found an old Sony that was worlds better than the unknown brand . Even still, the sound had some glaring problems that needed equalized to make it listenable for a 12 hour drive.

Jul 5, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #3 of 7
Right now I use the Monster branded cassette adapter (a travesty I know) which is at least a lot clearer and cleaner than a $2 dollar one I bought at a flea market one time. I have read good reviews of the Belkin casette adaptor though, which has a fuller sound compared to the thin sounding Monster adapter.

EDIT: I take that back, the reviews of the Belkin are pretty awful. The Sony though gets a great score on Amazon...

Jul 5, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #5 of 7
I recently bought a Dynex one, and the sound is just so harsh. It's not exactly higher pitched, but everything sounds shrill. It does have good bass impact, too much treble, and as I said before the mids are just wrong. I've only had it for 4 days, so I'm going to return it to Best Buy. I've heard the Sony and Monster are the "best" options. Just know that no cassette adapter is going to have great, or even really good sound quality. But certain kinds are passable. I had one from a brand called Nexus, which was actually pretty good.

To recap, don't buy the Dynex ($25!!!), get the Monster or Sony for ~$15-20.

Edit: The Phillips one mentioned above is great, actually. My friend has that and works well for the money.

Jul 5, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
Right now I use the Monster branded cassette adapter (a travesty I know) which is at least a lot clearer and cleaner than a $2 dollar one I bought at a flea market one time. I have read good reviews of the Belkin casette adaptor though, which has a fuller sound compared to the thin sounding Monster adapter.

EDIT: I take that back, the reviews of the Belkin are pretty awful. The Sony though gets a great score on Amazon...

I agree with your edit. I found the biggest problem with the Belkin was volume control. One track would be very quiet and the next could blow your speakers. The sound was always thin and a bit sad.

Aug 2, 2019 at 1:17 AM Post #7 of 7

A vehicle sound tape connector is a superb method to associate your music to your car… without really having a piece of incorporated assistant information. While there are such huge numbers of a connector to browse, we're seeing two key angles that will represent the deciding moment an item.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back