Is there any point to minidisc?
Nov 6, 2004 at 9:13 PM Post #31 of 62
Data Storage Density.
((volume of mp3 player)/(hdd size)) compared to (((volume of md player) + (# of MDs)(volume of MD))/((# of MDs)(5gb))

Volume.
(volume of mp3 player) compared to ((volume of md player) + ((volume of MD)(amount of MP3's rounded up in increments of 5gb)/(5gb))

I could sit here all day cranking out equations like this, and we'd never have a universal answer.
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2004 at 9:22 PM Post #32 of 62
at least I dont need a new player every year, and ALL of my mates with various HD DAPs do

Nov 6, 2004 at 9:43 PM Post #34 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by br--

Rationalization. You just said you would ONLY need to carry around 63 discs. Do you not see how absurd this is? And how this pales in comparison to carrying around one HD player?

wow.

Nov 6, 2004 at 10:59 PM Post #35 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Latexxx
Actually, Hi-MD thingies support pcm audio (~ 90 min per disc).

Thanks. I didn't know this. All of my information on MD is from 2 years ago when I used to use them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skitzo
wow.

???

Nov 6, 2004 at 11:27 PM Post #38 of 62
are there any HiMD owners out there? i was just wondering how the speed transfer of files to the discs itself because sony claims its to be 100x faster than the original MD players or something. also how are the quality (build, sound, etc.) of these newer players. just want to keep my MD knowledge up to date since i no longer use them.

Nov 7, 2004 at 3:25 AM Post #39 of 62
I'm surprised you guys haven't thought of the obvious thing.

The point was, it's a replacement for cassette tapes.

I bought and use MD because I think it's cool and the players/recorders are awesome and sweet looking. People generally buy things because they like them, not because it's "better" than something else, although there are people like that, and trust me, they aren't audiophiles.

Nov 7, 2004 at 3:53 AM Post #40 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
I'm surprised you guys haven't thought of the obvious thing.

The point was, it's a replacement for cassette tapes.

I bought and use MD because I think it's cool and the players/recorders are awesome and sweet looking. People generally buy things because they like them, not because it's "better" than something else, although there are people like that, and trust me, they aren't audiophiles.

very nice point made D-EJ915. i was just gonna say that myself. now think about this. would you carry a bunch of MD's with you or a pocketfull of cassettes?

Nov 7, 2004 at 8:25 AM Post #41 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr4c
are there any HiMD owners out there? i was just wondering how the speed transfer of files to the discs itself because sony claims its to be 100x faster than the original MD players or something. also how are the quality (build, sound, etc.) of these newer players. just want to keep my MD knowledge up to date since i no longer use them.

If you have already converted the files to be transferred to atrac, it won't take very long. I believe that the speed is lower than with HD players, but it is at least acceptable. It takes about one minute to transfer one album (atrac3 132) to disc or somewhat longer with high-bitrate content.

Nov 7, 2004 at 8:29 PM Post #42 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Latexxx
If you have already converted the files to be transferred to atrac, it won't take very long. I believe that the speed is lower than with HD players, but it is at least acceptable. It takes about one minute to transfer one album (atrac3 132) to disc or somewhat longer with high-bitrate content.

Higher compression (say 48kbs-why would you subject yourself to that though?) takes longer.(to convert to atrac)

Nov 8, 2004 at 12:47 AM Post #43 of 62
i got into md a few years back. here are some reasons:

sony r50: $75 mint used (recorder, dedicated line out, good headhone amp, solid magnesium body)
sony mds jb930: $100 mint used (minidisc deck, atrac 4.5 type r, good dac's)
using a sony cd changer i can program in 80 minutes of music, synch it to the deck, and record. this also gives me a chance to enjoy what i am recording. i can also easily dub my vinyl and dvda discs via the high quality analog inputs. i grew up making cassette tapes and the feeling with md is very close. find the peaks, set the levels (yes, i can set the digital level with the deck), and start synchro recording.

as for carrying around 50 minidiscs, i almost never need more than 3 or 4 discs at a time.

right now i'm listening to peter gabriel's "passion" on my r50 md, atrac r, custom mini/mini cable (no sik converter needed), sr71 emmeline amp, and ety er4s, all tucked in a waterfield ipod bag. i have most of my cd collection on md in a small box, and i do not download mp3 off the web so double compression is not an issue.

i have recorded a few live shows with the r50, with what i consider good results (using a battery powered sony mic worth about $110).

i do use my clie as a dap, and one thing i like is the random play between different artists. but most of the time i prefer to listen to a whole album.

Nov 8, 2004 at 7:01 PM Post #44 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by skitzo
i believe jeff was speaking with just a smidge (just the littlest bit) of sarcasm.

Yes, it was sarcasm.

Though it's accurate for MD for NetMD at 20000 minutes.

it would only be 7.5 discs with HiMD
Though I'm not sure how well the half disc would work
in the player.
eek.gif

I hope the sarcasm is recognized by everybody this time round.

-Jeff

Nov 9, 2004 at 9:26 AM Post #45 of 62
When my computer was sucks I really needed MD as an iPod would've been a complete waste since it didn't have a Firewire port, and I'd already dabbled with MP3s and wasn't into that scene (I'm still not).

Now I'm trading my portable recorder for a 3g 'pod and throwing a few albums in lossless for when I need a portable music fix and don't want to worry about backlogs of recorded albums. Unlike highschool, I don't have time to be recording all my albums in realtime. hehheh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back