Is there any danger tying Signal Ground to Chassies/Earth ground?
Mar 16, 2008 at 8:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Chu

1000+ Head-Fier
My source and amp are plugged into the same wall socket. The problem is the amp love to pick up radio. I've tried most of the normal solutions to this and none work.

The thing is though there is a "magic spot" I can touch on the amp that makes it all go away. I discovered that what I'm doing when I touch this magic spot is that I'm using my body to connect signal ground (the "barrel" on the RCA cable) to earth ground (tied directly to a screw from the input socket).

My question is, is there any danger to basically modifying the amp to tie the two grounds together to solve this problem?

The amp in question is a LD2++.

Mar 16, 2008 at 8:56 AM Post #2 of 4
There is no "danger", but you do open up a potential path for ground loop. The source and amp's signal grounds will be connected via the interconnect cable, but if the signal grounds are also tied to AC ground on each component, then the two signal grounds will also be connected via the AC wiring (through the wall outlet). Two paths gives rise to a loop.

Just because you might minimize hum when you touch between certain spots doesn't necessarily mean that you'll get the same result by direct-wiring between them. Your body doesn't really act like a wire.

Picking up radio is a sign of bad RFI shielding. If your interconnect cable is properly shielded, then I suspect either something is wrong with the amp, or perhaps it's poorly designed.

Mar 16, 2008 at 10:15 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
or perhaps it's poorly designed.

That would be my guess. Mine does the exact same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back