Is there any danger in using a powerfull digital amp to run the K-1000's?
Jan 29, 2007 at 2:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Stax-i-nox

100+ Head-Fier
New K1000 owner here
smily_headphones1.gif
.......Is there any problem running the K1000 through a high powered class D digital amp, with a preamp of course....am talking around 350 to 400 watts a channel into 8 ohms for this amp. It's the older eAR 1 from Acoustic Reality in Denmark. Thanks, John

Jan 29, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stax-i-nox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
New K1000 owner here
smily_headphones1.gif
.......Is there any problem running the K1000 through a high powered class D digital amp, with a preamp of course....am talking around 350 to 400 watts a channel into 8 ohms for this amp. It's the older eAR 1 from Acoustic Reality in Denmark. Thanks, John

I have been running my K1000s with a Hypex UCD 180AD (180w into 8 ohms) class D amp for many months. It sounds wonderful. The amount of detail is staggering. It is also dynamic and has a good tonal balance.

Last week I received a new SinglePower Extreme and am now trying out various tubes in it as it breaks in. I find that I did not realize how much I missed the romance that tubes bring to listening.

I think that the K1000s are made to be driven by a regular amp and really need one to shine. The Extreme seems to be an exception. I doubt that it puts out 5w but it sounds great...

Jan 29, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #3 of 5
There's a danger in running any speaker off too much power, sure. But in headphones you would be worrying about your ears catching on fire before this happens.

Because K-1000's are 600 ohm headphones, they wont pull gobs of power out from a hi-fi amp. So it's not like you need to worry about keeping the volume knob a notch above 0, but just play within reasonable volume levels.

Jan 29, 2007 at 7:36 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the replies....This older eAR 1 class D digital amp was one of the first ones out there...you may have seen it...it's in the shape of a triangle and is made out of stainless steel..lol.....sounds really good on speakers, so I suspect it will sound great with the K1000. .I was concerned it was too much power, but I guess with the pre-amp in there, all I have to worry about is making it too loud for my ears.

I also have a vintage McIntosh MC-240 tube amp I want to try...that's 40 watts a channel...has anyone tried that combo? ..that does not need a pre-amp, as it has separate left and right volume pots.

Looking forward to getting these K1000's...never heard them before. I have had nothing but Stax for the last 15 years. Now I will be in the K1000 club!
lambda.gif
k1000smile.gif

Jan 29, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by creyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's a danger in running any speaker off too much power, sure. But in headphones you would be worrying about your ears catching on fire before this happens.

Because K-1000's are 600 ohm headphones, they wont pull gobs of power out from a hi-fi amp. So it's not like you need to worry about keeping the volume knob a notch above 0, but just play within reasonable volume levels.

The K1000's are 120 ohm headphones with a very low 74db sensitivity for 1mw input. While K1000's dont have excessive current demands in comparison to speakers .... they do need lots of voltage swing. You will see there need for power is 1000 mw max = 1 watt. That is why an amp like the Extreme can drive them with authority .... the Extreme can supply 1500-2000 mw and being tubed the voltage swings are easily accomplished.

Type: Dynamic Transducer with VLD magnet

Rated Impedance 120 ohms

Sensitivity: 74db for 1 mW (free field)

Power requirement: 100 mW for 1 Pa

Power rating: 1000 mW—approximately 104 db

Headband force exerted on a 140mm wide head: 3.5N

Weight: 370 g including 8 foot cord and XLR connector

Frequency range: 30 Hz to 25,000 Hz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back