is there any battery powered DAC's that accept Toslink input?
May 9, 2005 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

PUGSTUB

500+ Head-Fier
Anyone know if this exists? I would like to try a battery powered D/A with my portable Sony discman with an optical out? Can anyone help me out with idea's? Thanks

May 9, 2005 at 10:17 PM Post #3 of 9
May 10, 2005 at 12:43 AM Post #4 of 9
AOS Piccolo DAC is a nice step up from a Discman. Right now I'm listening to Piccolo DAC plus XP-7. If you go this route you'll need a standalone headphone amp as well.

Jun 12, 2005 at 4:39 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by DukeTogo
You can also run an Apogee Mini-DAC (accepts Toslink) off batteries.

Mind you, you won't be fitting this in your pocket or anything, but it is certainly transportable if you planned on taking it around with you.

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/minidac.php
http://www.ecocharge.com/

This is the setup I have moved to and it really is amazing (cheaper 12V Lead Acid batteries not the eco system)! I have two batteries, so one charges as I listen to the other. The sound is a tiny bit more clear and detailed, but noticeable.

dshea

Jun 13, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #8 of 9
Has anybody had a chance to compare the current offerings of portable dac solutions: Apogee Mini-DAC, Bel Canto 2, AOS Piccolo, Headroom MicroDAC, etc.

Ozniot, Dshea_32665, have you compared your DACs to others?

Thanks!

Jun 14, 2005 at 1:02 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by rab10
Has anybody had a chance to compare the current offerings of portable dac solutions: Apogee Mini-DAC, Bel Canto 2, AOS Piccolo, Headroom MicroDAC, etc.

Ozniot, Dshea_32665, have you compared your DACs to others?

Thanks!

I have an AOS Piccolo (actually it is for sale on the forum). It is an amazing little unit for its price but it is not in the same league as the Apogee or Bel Canto (which cost 3 to 4 times more), and so I am just not using it much any more. Also it is much smaller than the Bel Canto or Apogee, about 1/10 the size.

dshea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back