Is there any audiophile sounding DAP?
Oct 28, 2004 at 12:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Mr Iriver

1000+ Head-Fier
I currently own an iriver IFP 395t and am looking to replace it with something that has better sound, and stereo separation to pair it with the Shure E3. Don't suggest ipod because the E3 headphones don't have enough low end, +neither does ipod= little low end. The creative nomad jukebox 3 seems to be called the best audiophile DAP. Anybody know if the Zen micro or Zen touch sound better than the NJB3. Also do they have a customizable Equalizer.

Oct 28, 2004 at 2:37 AM Post #2 of 8
I'd suggest the Rio Karma. Flat frequency response and low distortion(just like all of the DAPs mentioned regularly around here), except it has the best power output, by far. It also has a 5 band EQ, for which you can adjust the frequency and the width of the EQ(IE, does it affect one octave, two octaves, 1.2 octaves..)

I'd recommend anything else with a line out if you want an amp though, as a portable amp + line out would kill the Karma's amp and the others by a fair margin..
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2004 at 2:42 AM Post #3 of 8
My av320 sounds amazing when I use its digital out to a dac and headphone amp. This is the main reason why I really want to make a dac/amp combo of some kind for portable use. So I would say any of the DAP's with digital out would be a good choice.
wink.gif

Oct 28, 2004 at 12:18 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Iriver
Anybody know if the Zen micro or Zen touch sound better than the NJB3. Also do they have a customizable Equalizer.

"Creative is justifiably proud of the audio features of the Zen Touch. The signal-to-noise ratio is the best we've seen on a portable player, with nearly 100 dB of headroom. Frequency response is flat across the audio spectrum, and harmonic distortion is way below audibility, even when we pushed the player to its painfully loud maximum output."

PC Magazine - special issue. Fall 2004

Oct 28, 2004 at 4:19 PM Post #5 of 8
I think your best bet will be either the Rio Karma or the iPod using lossless files for audiophile use. Rio having better control over the sound through EQ and iPod having one of the most nuetral sounds for purist audiophiles.

Oct 28, 2004 at 6:25 PM Post #6 of 8
I think your best bet will be either the Rio Karma or the iPod using lossless files for audiophile use. Rio having better control over the sound through EQ and iPod having one of the most nuetral sounds for purist audiophiles.

Oct 28, 2004 at 6:46 PM Post #7 of 8
I can personally attest to the SQ of the iPod through its line-out to an amp. It's really a good, audiophile level source. Not up to some $1000+ CD transport, I'm sure, but for my purposes (and from what I've seen around here, the purposes of many others) it sounds fantastic with lossless files, line out, and a decent headphone amp.

Good luck finding what you want,

-Chad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back