Is there an opamp that can work with only 1.5v?
Apr 20, 2003 at 1:07 AM Post #2 of 12
You mean 0.9V, since that's where the battery's voltage is when it's essentially used up. And as far as I know, the answer is "no". There are a few that work on 1.8V, for operation on 2xAA or 2xAAA. They probably don't sound wonderful, though.

Unless size is of the utmost importance, you might consider looking into DC-DC converters, since these can boost the voltage enough to allow use of a better op-amp. These have somewhat noisy output voltage, but the improvement you get from using a better chip might be worth it, especially if you use a converter with an ultrasonic switching frequency. I've used a few with frequencies in the 10-30kHz range and they're junk for audio purposes.

Apr 20, 2003 at 1:52 AM Post #3 of 12
I'm not quite sure how noisy the output voltage from a DC-DC converter is. The Headroom Supreme makes use of a DC-DC converter and I didn't notice it being noisy.

Apr 21, 2003 at 2:13 AM Post #5 of 12
All DC-DC converters are not created equal. There are cheese-ass little DIP-8 package ones with really nasty characteristics, on up to $100 brick units with beautiful output.

Apr 21, 2003 at 7:22 AM Post #6 of 12
I think I heard somewhere that battery powered Headroom amps used a DC-DC converter, do you know if this is true?

Apr 21, 2003 at 7:33 AM Post #7 of 12
Yes, it's true. They use Cosel units, IIRC. That's why I brought up the issue of size above -- the good ones are about 4x the size of a DIP-8, or larger.

Apr 23, 2003 at 6:05 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Squalish
I think I heard somewhere that battery powered Headroom amps used a DC-DC converter, do you know if this is true?

you're a couple days late there squal, :p

It's true. The supreme and the cosmic make use of DC-DC converters.

Apr 23, 2003 at 7:45 AM Post #10 of 12
Hey,

Only 1.5V not enough headroom. And DC-DC convertor's efficiency will be so low that you one AA battery will be eaten up within few hours. (Of course, the amp will start clipping too.)

I think I can build an amp with 3V using 74HCU04's for 32 ohm cans. Heehee. Mischievous amp.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Tomo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back