Is there an MFSL of any of the Elvis Costello albums?
May 11, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #2 of 17
Ouch! Unfortunately I own a lot of CDs like that too. It's one of the reasons I buy more vinyl than CDs.

I have This Year's Model on vinyl. I'm very happy with the sound, but if MFSL ever got hold of it I would probaby consider a buy if they put out a hybrid SACD disc.

--Jerome

May 11, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #3 of 17
Nope. You might want to take a look at the original Columbia CDs or the early 90s Ryko remasters.

May 11, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #4 of 17
As has been stated, generally the ryko disc versions are the best on CD and are readily available used and occasionally new.

The Rhino versions sound clipped and loud.

The original columbia cds sound very good too, but dont have the bonus material like the rykos.

It's a shame what has become of Rhino. When they first started they the epitome of a fans record company and went out of their way with quality product (including sound).

Now i think if they could sell paper cds with 64k audio on them they would

May 12, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Rhino versions sound clipped and loud.

It's a shame what has become of Rhino. When they first started they the epitome of a fans record company and went out of their way with quality product (including sound).

Now i think if they could sell paper cds with 64k audio on them they would

I'm not sure it is fair to condemn Rhino with this generalization. They take part in many projects, and the quality of product is reflective of the people involved.

For example, the Doors vinyl box set sounds extremely good, but it was overseen by the same production team that originally produced the Doors, and mastered by Bernie Grundman.

Likewise, the Grateful Dead Winterland 1973 box set that was just released was for all practical purposes a Grateful Dead production, being sold through Rhino - it is a very high quality HDCD release.

What about "Warner Bros./Reprise/Rhino Records Jumps Into The Audiophile Market with All-Time Classic Favorites mastered by Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman at AcousTech Mastering! From the Original Analog Master Tapes! Pressed on Virgin 180-Gram Vinyl at RTI." posted on Steve Hoffman's website?

So if the Elvis Costello releases on Rhino suck, I'd say Elvis Costello and his team are more to blame for not caring enough to do it right.

May 12, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #6 of 17
i have the original Columbia CD's of six Costello albums... they sound OK in general, but i think Ryko improved Get Happy!! and Imperial Bedroom.

i just got the Hip-O version of King of America, and as of the first few listens, it sounds decent to me. a little too compressed, but not as egregious as many other albums that get remastered these days. ok, not great.

May 12, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #7 of 17
I actually mostly like the Rhino EC titles in general. Yes, they are a little too loud, but as far as modern remasters go, they aren't all that bad. That may be damning with faint praise, but...

May 13, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Ryko gold CDs are identical mastering to the regular discs.

There's money well spent, then. I wonder if his albums will ever be reissued under an audiophile label (or simply issued over and over again with no marked improvement in quality--other than the initial Rykodisc versions). It's frustrating to love an artist who doesn't put time and attention into sound quality.

May 13, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by asdf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's frustrating to love an artist who doesn't put time and attention into sound quality.

beyond belief, even.
wink.gif

May 13, 2008 at 7:37 PM Post #12 of 17
Sorry for off tracking slightly, but what other hi-fidelity mastering studios are there out there other than MSFL?

I was having a look on their site and there were a couple of CD's that interested me, but i would be keen to know of somewhere with a bigger catalogue.

P.s. Is what's on their site all they have? Or is there a secret list? hehe.

May 13, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by asdf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...or simply issued over and over again with no marked improvement in quality--other than the initial Rykodisc versions

I don't think most would consider the Rykos as a "marked improvement", in fact many think they are the worst sounding. I mostly stuck with vinyl, but the original UK Demons of the early stuff still sound best of what I've heard. Some of the later period Rhinos do have a pretty good rep, though I haven't been tempted. You can still find the nice sounding original 1989 Demon Girls-Girls-Girls collection on the used market for a relatively cheap taste of the early Demon sound (though be careful since it was later reissued in the mid 90s with a different number and master)... Demon IMP FIEND CD160 (UK) ... the US Columbia from the same time may be the same master, don't know.

And to goldenratiophi - smaller image size! It goes way off page on my laptop and I have to scroll back and forth to read posts in the whole thread.

May 13, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can still find the nice sounding original 1989 Demon Girls-Girls-Girls collection on the used market for a relatively cheap taste of the early Demon sound

Oops, just checked at Gemm and I guess relatively cheap is a relative term in today's collectors market
smily_headphones1.gif

In any case, keep your eyes open and one will always turn up for cheap in my experience. Not everyone visits places like this or steve hoffman or some of the other audiophile sites. Most normal people still think remasters sound better
eek.gif

May 14, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oops, just checked at Gemm and I guess relatively cheap is a relative term in today's collectors market
smily_headphones1.gif

In any case, keep your eyes open and one will always turn up for cheap in my experience. Not everyone visits places like this or steve hoffman or some of the other audiophile sites. Most normal people still think remasters sound better
eek.gif

I have the UK pressings (vinyl) for most of his early stuff. They've been sitting in a box for over 20 years. I just bought a new (used) turntable so that I could listen to Momfuku prior to the CD release. I think it's time to go back and give them a spin.

I also have all of the Columbia releases as well as the Rykodisc versions on CD. My Columbia versions have been stuck in the back of a closet since the Ryko versions came out. At the time, I had a strong preference for the Ryko versions. My sound system is quite a bit nicer, now, so I think I'll do some A/B testing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back