Is there an LOD for ipod>Headphones direct?
Dec 2, 2010 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Brumagician99

Head-Fier
As the title suggests i'm confused.

LOD - line out dock from ipod > amp usually

but i dont have an amp

I want to listen to my music Via LOD but cannot seem to connect the HF jack pin to the male pin of ipod dock.

Is there a converter in the middle? Or can an LOD only be used with DAC or Amp?

Does such cable exist?

Dec 2, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #2 of 15
No LOD can take the digital signal from an iPod. To date, Apple has not released that functionality to the general public unless we purchase a licensed unit like the iWadia.

http://www.wadia.com/products/transports/170i/

You are basically getting the un-attenuated analog signal (i.e. FULL VOLUME) from the LOD. So there really is no reason for iPOD - LOD - Headphones...you will blow your eardrums out.

Dec 3, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 15
Thanks for this...

Would theres be no difference in SQ either between listening through the 3.5mm pin and what would be the HF LOD?

Dec 3, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #4 of 15
TBH i dont understand why there isnt such a thing when there are so many ipod docks out there, none of them plug in through the 3.5mm pin and all through the digital LOD at the bottom... any body else want to add anything here? 

Dec 3, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #5 of 15
If you realy must go Ipod -> LOD -> headphones:

1) buy LOD
2) buy female-to-female 1/8" adapter
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10429&cs_id=1042901&p_id=678&seq=1&format=2
3) buy volume control knob @ radio shack or similar store.
4) Connect LOD -> f-f adapter -> volume control

Why you'd want to do so I don't know, but there you go.  You could even make this a kit and sell it for 50 bucks to unsuspecting head-fiers... Amp-free LOD with volume control!

Dec 4, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #8 of 15
Thanks for all the insight,

My reasoning behind this thread was to achieve a purer sound but forgot i cant roll ampless and secondly at some point the sound will need to be converted from digital to analogue... unless somebody invents a single wire that can do such thing lol

thanks again people much appreciated.. i'll stick with the 3.5mm jack!! I have another ridiculous thread if u want to view it...

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/526517/using-wasapi-foobar-on-laptop-i-want-to-go-direct-to-amp#post_7101407

enjoy!

Dec 4, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
Were just happy to help.

LoL...it's not like we've got anything better to do.
smile.gif

Dec 4, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
Right now I'm doing that sort of laughing crying thing, you know, where the person next to ask if your ok and you say, "No no, (insert a sniffing nose hear) I'm fine. Really I am."

I hope things turn out ok...in the mean time, have a drink.
beerchug.gif

Dec 5, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #14 of 15
You can try FiiO E1

Dec 5, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
Thanks for all the insight,

My reasoning behind this thread was to achieve a purer sound but forgot i cant roll ampless and secondly at some point the sound will need to be converted from digital to analogue... unless somebody invents a single wire that can do such thing lol

thanks again people much appreciated.. i'll stick with the 3.5mm jack!! I have another ridiculous thread if u want to view it...

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/526517/using-wasapi-foobar-on-laptop-i-want-to-go-direct-to-amp#post_7101407

enjoy!

The LOD connector on the iPod provides a line-level, decoded analog signal.  It's better quality as it does not go through the internal amplification circuitry associated with the iPod headphone jack.  There are a few devices like the Wadia iTransport which can pull a digital signal off the iPod through some trickery and licensed technology - these require a separate DAC and amp and output coax or optical digital. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back