Is there an integrated amp with a great headphone amp?
Feb 12, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #16 of 18
Come to think of it, this would not be a bad option. Using the Sprout100's DAC may be a bit limiting though (which is partly one of the reasons why I wanted to try a different application).

Maybe I should just get the KEF LS50 Wireless and then get a headphone amp / DAC combo and sell the Sprout100.
That would be an option. If you are happy with the sound of your existing speakers, you could get a better DAC/headphone/preamp and plug it into the Sprout's power amp RCA inputs. Choices are vast; Schiit, RME, Mytek, PS Audio, Chord, Holo, Benchmark, etc., etc. A better source would be an upgrade to both your speaker and headphone sound.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #17 of 18
That would be an option. If you are happy with the sound of your existing speakers, you could get a better DAC/headphone/preamp and plug it into the Sprout's power amp RCA inputs. Choices are vast; Schiit, RME, Mytek, PS Audio, Chord, Holo, Benchmark, etc., etc. A better source would be an upgrade to both your speaker and headphone sound.

Unfortunately, it seems that the Sprout100 converts all analog back to digital so the internal DAC is always applied. Adding a separate DAC won't make a difference. I was curious about this and had my PS Audio Directstream Junior plugged into my Sprout100 and there was no difference in sound quality. The Mytek Brooklyn Bridge looks like a good option though at 3k.

Feb 12, 2019 at 9:07 PM Post #18 of 18
If you are just wanting an amplifier that will simply provide lots of power to your speakers and headphones and are not too concerned about sound quality, then all you will ever need is a cheap solid state integrated amplifier. Having said that, these day's most cheap solid state integrated amplifiers do have good sound quality. The one I can recommend is the Marantz PM5005..the PM5005 has enough output power to blow your speakers/headphones transducers to smithereens..but it is a very good amp for high impedance headphones and speakers and has an accurate, flat and punchy sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back