Is there an "in-line bass booster" anywhere?
Jun 4, 2004 at 10:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

billmit

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm pretty new to all this audiophile stuff, but I was wondering if a particular product exists. I know there are dozens of in-line headphone amps out there, but is there one (or anything for that matter) that can boost just the bass level? Amplified, or even passive. Just anything portable that would go between the music source, and the headphones, that could increase the bass frequency.

I appreciate your comments!

Bill in San Diego

UPDATE: Well, I just found this item, (below link), but at a cost of only $15, I imagine it "sounds" like $15 too! Is that all there really is?? I haven't been able to find anything else. But I know if "anyone" knows of another item, the forum readers here would.
smily_headphones1.gif

http://store.knbelectronics.com/eq-50.html

Jun 5, 2004 at 6:14 AM Post #3 of 5
A pre-amp can solve your problem, but that might cost more than you wish to spend? NAD even has one with a purpose built headphone amp inside as well, but I have not yet heard this so I cannot say how good it is (I'm going to hear it shortly though).

I found changing my source gave me all the bass I need (and I like bass if its "clean").

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Jun 8, 2004 at 7:39 PM Post #4 of 5
Well, since I also play acoustic guitar, I thought I would look into a quality preamp, as suggested. I found (and just ordered) the below item for $199 (postpaid), as it may be just what I'm looking for.

I emailed the company, and they verified that the 3-band EQ is in fact "active" and not passive, which they said will do a great job of increasing (or decreasing) headphone bass, mids, & treble, not to mention overall amplification. The reviews I could find for this were all very good, (even if used soley as a headphone amp), and stated that it produced a nice clean sound (little or no hiss). The included headphones are probably junk though. I read that they were made "exclusively" by Yamaha for this amp's specs (whatever that means exactly), and were mentioned to be about a $30 set of cans.

http://www.bassnw.com/raven_labs_pha1.htm

I'll know in a couple of weeks if this is worth keeping, but from what I have read, it looks fairly promising. I really like the idea of dual 9-volt batteries, which is said to give about 50 hours of use. Quality rechargeables might give about 60% of that, but worth it in the long run.

Just though I'd share my findings. I'm hesitant about later posting a "final review", since I'm a newbie to all this, and it would not be as "professional" as other reviews I have read here. But I will if requested.

Bill in Cali
cool.gif

Jun 9, 2004 at 4:04 AM Post #5 of 5
I'd be interested in hearing your impressions. I like the fact that it's battery powered too. Seems pretty versatile if it sounds half-way decent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back