Is there an alternative or source for the EL200x buffers in the meta?
Dec 2, 2002 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dokebi

500+ Head-Fier
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2002 at 8:08 PM Post #2 of 7
Unfortunately buffers do not have standardized pinouts like op-amps do. So, the only chips that will plug directly into the META42 boards are the EL2001 and EL2002s. There are several other buffers on the market, but you will have to build adapters to make them work in the board.

As for sources, I don't think any of the big distributors are accepting small orders right now, because these chips are due to be discontinued in 2 weeks. I know my source requires minimum orders of 150, and only on a no-returns basis. I'm told that you can't get samples from Elantec, either. So, the only source for these chips now on a onesy-twosy basis are the small sellers who still have stock.

Dec 2, 2002 at 11:56 PM Post #4 of 7
Tangent,

I'm thinking about building an amp too, but I'm going to use a protoboard anyway, so the pinout is not an issue. Being in Hungary I'd prefer not to get the buffers from the US with almost as much shipping cost as their price. What would you recommend as a sonically (almost) equivalent, more widely available buffer?

Thanks!

Dec 3, 2002 at 12:41 AM Post #5 of 7
Tangent: I do hope you've ordered yourself a couple thousand... (maybe you should find some EL2008/9s as the Ultimate Tweak Buffer?)

Dec 3, 2002 at 1:18 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Being in Hungary I'd prefer not to get the buffers from the US with almost as much shipping cost as their price.

Airmail postage for a small package like 3 buffers is only about US$1.50.

Quote:

What would you recommend as a sonically (almost) equivalent, more widely available buffer?

I have no idea what parts are available in Hungary. What I can tell you is that true analog buffers are all fairly rare things, so probably all audiophile-quality buffers are rare in Hungary. Also, I can't say anything about "sonically equivalent", because as far as I can tell, all of the available audiophile buffers sound significantly different.

If you flatly refuse to import some true buffers, you're probably going to have to settle for some high-output fast op-amps. Look for a FET-input, 50-100 MHz or so unity gain bandwidth, and 100 mA or so output current. Then just tie the output pin to the inverting input and you've got a buffer-like device. It's not as good as a true buffer, for audio purposes, but it will work, and such a chip will be a lot easier to find in your country.

Quote:

I do hope you've ordered yourself a couple thousand...

That's odd. You're the third person this week who has assumed that I have thousands of dollars sitting around...

Let us simply say that I have sufficient stock.

Dec 3, 2002 at 1:37 AM Post #7 of 7
Well, it's quite possible that you three or four grand sitting around - this is Head-Fi, so you never know...

And hey, buffers are a better investment than the stock market...

wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

(yes, I AM kidding)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back