Is there an AKG K501 Team?
Jul 15, 2005 at 4:02 PM Post #31 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by SV_huMMer
Now, I want a VERY FRANK answer from all of you, who so kindly joined the K501 team: Don't you at times feel you could definitely do with just a bit more punch in the lower register? Even with an amp? I mean, is it only me who's looking around for a second pair of cans for some types of music where you need that punch a bit more than the legendary "delicacy" of 501s?

I was pleasantly surprised when I got my pair. I thought I would find the bass lacking, but to be honest I don't. Admittedly, I also have a pair of HD-600s which I use when I want a bit more power for those lower frequencies, but I don't find myself switching to the HD-600s often because of a need for more bass. I like that the K501's seem to have excellent (perhaps even better?) bass extension, and that it's very controlled. Maybe I'm just not a "basshead"
orphsmile.gif

Edit: Maybe I should also add that I use both pairs of headphones about equally, and that I use them both to listen to a wide variety of music.

Jul 15, 2005 at 4:08 PM Post #32 of 52
Quote:

Now, I want a VERY FRANK answer from all of you, who so kindly joined the K501 team: Don't you at times feel you could definitely do with just a bit more punch in the lower register? Even with an amp? I mean, is it only me who's looking around for a second pair of cans for some types of music where you need that punch a bit more than the legendary "delicacy" of 501s?

The AKG K501s lack bass response that can be found in some other headphones. Not the best-kept secret of the forum.
smily_headphones1.gif

I use bass boost with my PPa, nudge the lower register with Foobar's EQ on occasion, and listen to my Beyer DT990s when I want to plumb the depths.

No problem

BW

Jul 15, 2005 at 4:18 PM Post #33 of 52
I have an interesting product that I'll be posting more about very shortly - a custom-cabled K501.
smily_headphones1.gif

Now, I'm not one of these folks who thinks that if a headphone doesn't have unnatural bass that it's bass light...so I like the K501. Having said that, this cable mod has turned it into a very different headphone IMHO!
biggrin.gif

I'll post more impressions in a separate thread sometime early next week. I'll want to check my facts with my source prior to posting. Stay tuned....

Jul 15, 2005 at 6:01 PM Post #35 of 52
Quote:

yes , in fact the mods help this and in a natural way , and the sound i get from tweaked k501 ( bit more bass then k501 plain , eq involved ) is a sound to dye for .

Jul 15, 2005 at 6:26 PM Post #36 of 52
What ever happened to the promise of the new AKG K601?

I know that Jan Meier reported back in early 2003 that an AKG rep informed him of plans to release two new headphones - the K601 and K701.

Jan later reported in his IFA-Berlin impressions that AKG had canceled plans of the K701, but that the K601 was still alive.

It's been almost two years now since then. Any updates?

Jul 15, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #37 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
yes , in fact the mods help this and in a natural way , and the sound i get from tweaked k501 ( bit more bass then k501 plain , eq involved ) is a sound to dye for .

Could you tell a bit more about your tweak? It's putting some sort of tape on the outside, to make them "a bit more closed", isn't it? Some detail would be highly appreciated!

Jul 15, 2005 at 10:00 PM Post #38 of 52
,,,,, i don't know if i can give out much detail about this ....
lambda.gif

yes , basically you get two/three types of tape ( i used a black , a paper and a normal one and in the end I kept on the black plastic one ) and try different size / orientations on different posittion of the outside .
since k501 are VERY refined in the middles , you'll notice the subtle change , and it will be in the bass mainly .

angling the drivers : basically you constrict the drivers in angled position and provide further extra circular semi-ring foam on rear part only of the perimeter of the pads to get them "closed" even when they're angled bit more towards your ear entrance .

I gained more then what i was searching with these two mods.

Jul 15, 2005 at 10:43 PM Post #39 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
What ever happened to the promise of the new AKG K601?

I know that Jan Meier reported back in early 2003 that an AKG rep informed him of plans to release two new headphones - the K601 and K701.

Jan later reported in his IFA-Berlin impressions that AKG had canceled plans of the K701, but that the K601 was still alive.

It's been almost two years now since then. Any updates?

scroll down this site to know someone lists akg k601 for around 300$ , and this forum to get a direct Akg answer on topic

I think it's quite likely the new k601 is appearing soon ( or later ) this ( or next ) year.
and it would probably be a sold out from first appearances

I'm on list for getting one , as my hope is Akg labs are coming out with something really "B"ig

Jul 15, 2005 at 11:17 PM Post #40 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
I have an interesting product that I'll be posting more about very shortly - a custom-cabled K501.
smily_headphones1.gif

Now, I'm not one of these folks who thinks that if a headphone doesn't have unnatural bass that it's bass light...so I like the K501. Having said that, this cable mod has turned it into a very different headphone IMHO!
biggrin.gif

I'll post more impressions in a separate thread sometime early next week. I'll want to check my facts with my source prior to posting. Stay tuned....

I'll be looking forward to this. Whenever I can sell my HD580's and snag a pair of K501's, the first thing they are getting is a new cable
k1000smile.gif

Jul 16, 2005 at 12:25 AM Post #41 of 52
Quote:

Welcome in!
k1000smile.gif
BTW, we need a Big Ears smiley!

lol! how odd our smileys would look
rolleyes.gif

Jul 16, 2005 at 2:09 AM Post #42 of 52
At the risk of reviving and inflaming the ongoing debate over the proper balance of bass in musical reproduction and the adequacy of the bass in the AKG K501 versus the over-emphasis of bass in headphones, such as, the Sennheiser HD 650.......... I find the bass of the AKG K501 just fine in my setup with an Onix xcd-88 modded, Woo Audio 3, and good cabling with the acoustic jazz, classical, and pop/rock cds I listen to. As with most aspects of music and musical reproduction, it's a matter of taste. YMMV.

Jul 16, 2005 at 5:54 AM Post #43 of 52
The bass on my K501s is fine, just fine. I read some old posts that make it seem that the whole low frequency was cut off from these headphones. It could be QC problems, but the bass on mine is really good., It reminds me of an overdamped bass from a sealed-box minimonitor, which incidentally plays to my taste. They do like a little bit of drive, though. I get the best results from warmish-sounding punchy amps, be they tubed or solid-state.

IMO the top end is where the K501s need more care as sibilance could be emphasized with a non-sympathetic amp. I could imagine them sounding great with KT-66s (which I don't have yet) in my Rocket amp. KT66s, especially Mullard, are known for that archetypal warm-and-punchy tube sound.

I'd count myself a member of Team K501
smily_headphones1.gif
but then I'm also a member of Team K340 and Team MS-2
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 30, 2005 at 4:18 AM Post #44 of 52
I want a comparison between the K501 and the K601...and no I don't want to hear about the K701.

Dec 30, 2005 at 1:06 PM Post #45 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by bookkeepers_son
The bass on my K501s is fine, just fine. I read some old posts that make it seem that the whole low frequency was cut off from these headphones. It could be QC problems, but the bass on mine is really good., It reminds me of an overdamped bass from a sealed-box minimonitor, which incidentally plays to my taste. They do like a little bit of drive, though. I get the best results from warmish-sounding punchy amps, be they tubed or solid-state.

Interestingly, the Go-Vibe (v2) with AD8620 opamp fits this description exactly.

I myself have never noticed any sibilance or other issues with the highs with my pair. It's an amazingly *coherent* headphone, so I don't tend to miss any bass because it doesn't sound like anything is missing. Yes, it does roll off in the lowest registers though. My theory is that it simply fails to boost mid-bass like other cans that roll off low bass, so you get a combination of rolled off sub-bass plus *flat* mid and upper bass that is a double whammy to the ears of those who are used to a hyped-up bass.

The number of complaints about Beyer DT880 bass (which isn't rolled off at all but is just plain neutral) makes me realize we have a lot of bassheads around here, who are used to the bass "sticking out" and making itself known. If they can't hear it incoherently and obviously in-your-face, they can't hear it. It's a bit depressing sometimes, because we're supposedly after high fidelity around here.

P.S. people itching to get their K501s recabled is a little ironic, because I think it has a significantly better than average stock cable (4 nines/OFC copper).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back