Is there an AKG K501 Team?
Jul 14, 2005 at 7:42 PM Post #16 of 52
To all who replied: you've just reconfirmed my conclusion about 501s: they simply can't live without a decent amp! When I just bought them, I was plugging them directly into the Audigy 2ZS Platinum's 5.25" unit's headphone jack... for a few days, only to go out and get an amp
k1000smile.gif

Jul 14, 2005 at 9:51 PM Post #18 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Julz
The K501's and a large orchestra were made for each other!

so true ...
look my sign. , I'm Team Iloveakg ( = love for akg k501 at the moment ) from quite a time
orphsmile.gif

Jul 14, 2005 at 9:52 PM Post #19 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by SV_huMMer
To all who replied: you've just reconfirmed my conclusion about 501s: they simply can't live without a decent amp! When I just bought them, I was plugging them directly into the Audigy 2ZS Platinum's 5.25" unit's headphone jack... for a few days, only to go out and get an amp
k1000smile.gif

hey what's this litz cable mod you have in your sig ?

asking because I 've modded a pair too ! ( tape stripes on outside + angled driver
k1000smile.gif
they sound sooooo gooooooood I almost fatigue to get them off and go to sleep...)

btw : I'm using now my k501 with Mahler V , Claudio Abbado .... they sound better then my home ( basic , but full! ) setup - they sound outstanding , majesteous even compared to hd650 .
hd650 get boring after a bit for the eccess of warmness ... k501 are on the bright side of the force though ...

Jul 14, 2005 at 10:13 PM Post #20 of 52
I have a feeling that K501 needs powerful tube amps to sound its best.
I working toward such a setup, using EL84 push-pull amp and ASL UHC.

Jul 14, 2005 at 10:15 PM Post #21 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
hey what's this litz cable mod you have in your sig ?

asking because I 've modded a pair too ! ( tape stripes on outside + angled driver
k1000smile.gif
they sound sooooo gooooooood I almost fatigue to get them off and go to sleep...)

There's a fellow in Moscow who specializes in litz-based cables - interconnects, speaker cables etc. He made one custom for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Litz (or Litzendraht) is basically copper (or other) wire comprising many very thin and individually insulated wires (http://www.mwswire.com/litzmain.htm).

My cable is made of 3 silk-insulated threads of 82 such lacquer-insulated thin wires 0.07mm each (hence designated as 82x0.07 litz), all three put in the external POLYURETHANE insulation.

AFAIK, they are said to be good because of the "skin effect" (the effect that most of the signal transfer in a conductive wire happens within a thin layer of the wire's surface). Therefore, the more individual wires you have, the more "surfaces" participate in transferring the frequency.

That's all science. The practice is an audible (although not dramatic) gain in highs and overall "speed" of the sound.

Tell me about your mod: how did you angle the drivers? What was the effect of the tape on the outside? I have a guess on what it was, but would like to confirm. Didn't putting the tape produced some adverse effect on the famous spaciousness and "airiness" of K501 sound?

Jul 14, 2005 at 10:17 PM Post #22 of 52
Quote:

There's a fellow in Moscow who specializes in litz-based cables - interconnects, speaker cables etc. He made one custom for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Litz (or Litzendraht) is basically copper (or other) wire comprising many very thin and individually insulated wires (http://www.mwswire.com/litzmain.htm).

My cable is made of 3 silk-insulated threads of 82 such lacquer-insulated thin wires 0.07mm each (hence designated as 82x0.07 litz), all three put in the external POLYURETHANE insulation.

AFAIK, they are said to be good because of the "skin effect" (the effect that most of the signal transfer in a conductive wire happens within a thin layer of the wire's surface). Therefore, the more individual wires you have, the more "surfaces" participate in transferring the frequency.

That's all science. The practice is an audible (although not dramatic) gain in highs and overall "speed" of the sound.

effective explanation , thanks ...
I can't imagine my akg k501 with more highs though..

Jul 14, 2005 at 10:19 PM Post #23 of 52
Quote:

effective explanation , thanks ...
I can't imagine my akg k501 with more highs though..

Welcome, and yes, highs are already good on K501s. But litz does not do just this: I think the most significant difference is "speed" - can't explain it any better...

Jul 14, 2005 at 10:23 PM Post #24 of 52
Quote:

Welcome, and yes, highs are already good on K501s. But litz does not do just this: I think the most significant difference is "speed" - can't explain it any better...

do you feel your k501 gained some "brilliance" or "shine" ?

Jul 14, 2005 at 11:04 PM Post #25 of 52
Quote:

do you feel your k501 gained some "brilliance" or "shine" ?

It not "shine" for sure, brilliance - maybe. What I feel most is they play better, for instance, some very fast violin passages. Really fast sounds are now reproduced better.

Jul 14, 2005 at 11:45 PM Post #27 of 52
Count me in!!! I LOVE my K501's with my Woo Audio 3. I really think that the strengths of the AKG K501'a and a good tube amp are really complementary and the resultant synergism is quite wonderfully musical and satisfying in an audiophile kind of way also. Musical Ecstacy Loves Company!!!!!!!!!!!

Jul 15, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #28 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyBenBilly
Count me in!!! I LOVE my K501's with my Woo Audio 3. I really think that the strengths of the AKG K501'a and a good tube amp are really complementary and the resultant synergism is quite wonderfully musical and satisfying in an audiophile kind of way also. Musical Ecstacy Loves Company!!!!!!!!!!!

Could not agree more! I re-discovered my K501s after getting my Laconic tube amp! Musical is really the best word to describe K501s and a good amp.

Now, I want a VERY FRANK answer from all of you, who so kindly joined the K501 team: Don't you at times feel you could definitely do with just a bit more punch in the lower register? Even with an amp? I mean, is it only me who's looking around for a second pair of cans for some types of music where you need that punch a bit more than the legendary "delicacy" of 501s?

Jul 15, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #29 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by South_Korean
Sv_hummer, ill join your big ears team!

Welcome in!
k1000smile.gif
BTW, we need a Big Ears smiley!

Jul 15, 2005 at 3:57 PM Post #30 of 52
actually, imo at least 85% of the people who are 'team akg' are actually team akg501. the 501 trounces the other 'popular' akg models here imo - the 240s, 271s, 340 and k1000 simply cannot compete.

anyway, fwiw - i have a grado (rs-1) and an akg. and a tube amp. imo, i'm all set.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back