Is there an AKG K501 Team?
Jul 14, 2005 at 1:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

SV_huMMer

100+ Head-Fier
Having looked thorugh a few dozens sigs of head-fi members, I've seen lots various "Team" designations. Some are more serious than others hehe, we've about started another funny one in my "Closed back cans...." thread LOL!

I wonder whether there is a team of lovers of AKG K501 - in many ways, absolutely spectacular cans, in some ways controversial, but overall really great! Or, if there is no such team, shall we maybe start one?

Jul 14, 2005 at 1:44 PM Post #2 of 52
I'm sure there is, and if there isn't, then you just created one!

I'm hoping to join Team K501 soon, I'm on the lookout for a used pair so I can get them recabled. They will make a nice complimentary can to my HD650's
600smile.gif

Jul 14, 2005 at 1:56 PM Post #3 of 52
Cool! Then, I'm modifying my sig. If there was no such team before, I welcome all other owners of these wonderful cans to join in!
smily_headphones1.gif
If there was such team already, then I am glad to join in!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2005 at 1:59 PM Post #4 of 52
They DO make an excellent partner with the 650's. And amped well, the alleged lack of bass really isn't that much of an issue. The K501's and a large orchestra were made for each other.

J

Ohhh, nearly forgot...

TEAM K501 !!!

Jul 14, 2005 at 2:15 PM Post #5 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Julz
They DO make an excellent partner with the 650's. And amped well, the alleged lack of bass really isn't that much of an issue. The K501's and a large orchestra were made for each other.

J

Ohhh, nearly forgot...

TEAM K501 !!!

Very true! And in my case K-501 compliment Grados (SR-225) very well: one for symphonic/accoustic and general complexity, the other - for rock/blues and general slam
smily_headphones1.gif

OK, TEAM K-501

Jul 14, 2005 at 4:13 PM Post #6 of 52
Great to see a few people sharing K501 passion!

BTW, how do you all drive your K501s? Amp/no amp? If amped, what do you use?

Jul 14, 2005 at 4:15 PM Post #7 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by SV_huMMer

I didn't even think headphones worked without an amp, at least, that's what I've learned from this site
confused.gif

In all seriousness though, these babies need an amp to perform to their fullest potential. Whenever I snag a pair, I'll be using a maxed out Millet Hybrid
600smile.gif

By the wy, where's the AKG smilie?

Jul 14, 2005 at 5:08 PM Post #8 of 52
Quote:

I use two different amps with the K501.

The JMT PPA has a switchable bass boost that makes a world of difference in the lower register. The sonic signature of the PPA, a cold brilliance, meshes well with K501's extended highs and forward midrange, IMO.

I also use a Ray Samuels HR-2. What the HR-2 brings to the equation is power. The sound is warmer than the PPA, and the K501s sound fuller. Soundstage is enhanced, and the bass is more than adequate.

Anybody tried these with a tube amp?

BW

Jul 14, 2005 at 5:38 PM Post #9 of 52
Quote:

To me K-501 are impossible without dedicated headphone amp - too thin and lifeless even out of decent direct headphone out. Most portables I have simply can't drive them at all unless I hook Total Airhead portable amp. But my good ole Creek OBH-11 headamp with Straightwire Chorus ICs really opens K-501 tremendously with awesome synergy.

Jul 14, 2005 at 6:03 PM Post #11 of 52
I don't get it....excuse me for being dense

What's the whole fascination with team anything?

Jul 14, 2005 at 6:50 PM Post #12 of 52
It's just light-hearted comraderie, birds of a feather and all that...

K501's without an amp is really not a good idea. Lifeless, tinny, shrill, I run mine through my MG Head and she really gets her voice... the rumble of the double bases in the 1st movement of Mahlers 2nd gave me chills, the instrument separation is staggering, I was hearing things that I'd never heard before in pieces I'd heard hundreds of times.....

Jul 14, 2005 at 7:16 PM Post #14 of 52
Quote:

Having looked thorugh a few dozens sigs of head-fi members, I've seen lots various "Team" designations. Some are more serious than others hehe, we've about started another funny one in my "Closed back cans...." thread LOL!

I wonder whether there is a team of lovers of AKG K501 - in many ways, absolutely spectacular cans, in some ways controversial, but overall really great! Or, if there is no such team, shall we maybe start one?

I'm afraid there is one now...
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif
eek.gif
biggrin.gif
cool.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2005 at 7:39 PM Post #15 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ward
I use two different amps with the K501.

The JMT PPA has a switchable bass boost that makes a world of difference in the lower register. The sonic signature of the PPA, a cold brilliance, meshes well with K501's extended highs and forward midrange, IMO.

I also use a Ray Samuels HR-2. What the HR-2 brings to the equation is power. The sound is warmer than the PPA, and the K501s sound fuller. Soundstage is enhanced, and the bass is more than adequate.

Anybody tried these with a tube amp?

BW

Yeah, a switchable bass boost could be helpful with K501s.

In my setup I do use a tube amp for my K501, and so far I like it. To my taste, they now sound better than with a Creek OBH-21, slightly better than with MF X-Can V3 (a hybrid), although with the latter it's purely a question of taste, because objectively V3 is much flatter and more uncolored, but I liked the way my tube amp added to the sound of 501s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back