Is there actually a decent portable amp for the HD650 (under $200)?
Jul 25, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #17 of 27
Okay, so the FiiO A5 came in today. I've got about 1 hour of listening time in. Thoughts so far:

1. The HD650s sound entirely different with the amp. The clipping and distortion at higher volumes is gone. Feels like I'm listening to this headphone again for the first time.
2. The actual sound hasn't changed at all. Everything is still the same, but now everything knows it's place. Volume up and down is far more predictable than it was before. Stuff that was getting left behind when I hiked up the volume now joins the rest of the music. It's nice.
3. The A5 can make the HD650s go way higher than I'll ever need it.

I may upgrade to a "better" one someday, but the FiiO A5 worked flawlessly. My V20 doesn't recognize it as a headphone, so it doesn't engage "high impedance mode" . I get to keep using the DAC on the V20 at least. Still gotta test it on the PC and 3DS, but it seems like this thing is a winner for this particular need.

Thanks everyone for your help and bouncing ideas around for me :) Hopefully this helps some other HD650 owners who don't want to be chained to a desk all day. I guess anything up in the 750+mW at 32 ohm would do it eh?

Jul 25, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #18 of 27
Glad to hear it works for you. It is definitely one of the more powerful portable amps out there. Also it is actually 800 mW into 32 and 150 mW into 300 ohms plenty of power for the 650's.

Jul 25, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #20 of 27
Glad to hear it works for you. It is definitely one of the more powerful portable amps out there. Also it is actually 800 mW into 32 and 150 mW into 300 ohms plenty of power for the 650's.

I'm just happy that it was enough. It's intimidating doing that Google Search and hearing a bunch of people say "lol nope, can't do it". They're wrong, and that makes me happy.

I only own the Schiit Fulla, but am quite happy with it. IT's 100. Have you tried it?

I have not. It doesn't look very portable though :wink:

Jul 25, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #23 of 27
I'm just happy that it was enough. It's intimidating doing that Google Search and hearing a bunch of people say "lol nope, can't do it". They're wrong, and that makes me happy.

Had no doubt it would power them just haven't heard them thru it. The Mojo has all the power they can handle also just doesn't sound good to me. If your happy that is all that matters :L3000:

Jul 26, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #24 of 27
Is it too late to try the Focal Listen headphones?

I'm afraid so. I'm not a huge fan of closed back or of leather ear cups also. I wear these for 8 hours a day at work lol, and I like being able to hear my environment.

Had no doubt it would power them just haven't heard them thru it. The Mojo has all the power they can handle also just doesn't sound good to me. If your happy that is all that matters :L3000:

I didn't notice any coloration of sound. Everything just got louder. However, I did notice that high gain mode kind of blew out the midrange just a little bit. Keeping it on low gain seems to be working really well. Really smooth, even at louder volumes with no noticeable distortions. The mids are still a tad peaky but I assume that's a function of these really mid-heavy headphones. At reasonable volumes, I hear nothing wrong. I guess it's just a personal preference thing eh?

Jul 26, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #26 of 27

It's about the size of a pack of smokes and can get powered from your phone's USB. How "portable" are you looking to get?

Jul 31, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #27 of 27
It's about the size of a pack of smokes and can get powered from your phone's USB. How "portable" are you looking to get?

Well then it doesn't photograph very well lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back