Is there a way to tell the 5g ipod not to charge?
Feb 18, 2006 at 5:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Medikit

100+ Head-Fier
I'd like to run my ipod off of a powersource without worrying about the battery being filled to capacity, is this possible? Basically I just want to be able to tell the ipod not to charge when it's plugged into a powersource.

Feb 18, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #2 of 4
Why? I can't think of any reason why you woudln't want it to charge. The type of battery used with the iPod is one that does't suffer too much from memory effects or from being prematurely recharged iirc.

Feb 18, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #3 of 4
Lithium batteries like to be charged. I'd just let it charge.
You probably get less battery life by letting it drain.
That is, if its rated for 400 full charges, you might get 900 charges if you let it run down to 50% then charge it back to up 100% whereas you might only get 300 charges if you let it go down to 0% then back up to 100%.

Feb 18, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by ArcTeryx
Lithium batteries like to be charged. I'd just let it charge.
You probably get less battery life by letting it drain.
That is, if its rated for 400 full charges, you might get 900 charges if you let it run down to 50% then charge it back to up 100% whereas you might only get 300 charges if you let it go down to 0% then back up to 100%.

It's a matter of not wanting to charge it to capacity which is bad for the battery. I would turn on the charging once it falls below a certain level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back