Is there a way to tell if CIEMs have been damaged electrically or mechanically while undergoing remolding?
Jun 2, 2014 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

drssyoon

100+ Head-Fier
So, I have a pair of W3s that I have remolded. They sound fine, but hard to tell whether they are any better than how they were prior to remolding. Can't remember that far back. I like the fit and comfort, however.

I just received a pair of W4 on a trade and listening to them made me go WOW! There is a huge difference between the stock W4 and remolded W3. 

I am now wondering whether my remolded W3s were damaged (or wires not connected properly).

Is there a way to tell if the W3s are at least electrically intact and/or if the drivers are working without taking them apart?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Jun 2, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 3
  So, I have a pair of W3s that I have remolded. They sound fine, but hard to tell whether they are any better than how they were prior to remolding. Can't remember that far back. I like the fit and comfort, however.

I just received a pair of W4 on a trade and listening to them made me go WOW! There is a huge difference between the stock W4 and remolded W3. 

I am now wondering whether my remolded W3s were damaged (or wires not connected properly).

Is there a way to tell if the W3s are at least electrically intact and/or if the drivers are working without taking them apart?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

What about the W3 is making you think there's a problem with them? The W4 and W3 are totally different in the way they sound. The W3 are supposed to be more bass heavy and the W4 is closer to neutral sounding. The W4 is going to sound more separated and more accurate by having one more BA in them, so that alone might make you think they're a HUGE step up from the 3 BA's in the W3. 

One thing you might be doing if the cable is removable, is putting the pins in backwards. Try putting the left earphone on the right's pins and the right on the left's pins, as that would reverse the ground and signal for each IEM. 

I hope that helped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back