Is there a way to not pay for import tax?
Sep 19, 2011 at 1:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

SHURE530

New Head-Fier
greetings,

i just ordered an audeze lcd 2. and i've got a few questions.

first of all that order cost me 805 euros. If i were to pay for the VAT and Customs Duty it would total up to 39%. which will amount to a grand GRAND total of 1110 euros.

being a student, i am not particularly pleased about forking out another 300 euros. seriously.

anyway, my studies in ireland will be done in january 2012 and i'll be leaving ireland permanently.

which leads me to a few questions.

1. is there a way to not pay the tax (has to be legal) and get my lcd 2?

2. in the event i do have to pay for my lcd 2 (and its stuck at god knows where), will the customs contact me? and if so will i be able to get a relief from the tax as i'm a student?

3. to all you guys who ordered the lcd 2 and are living in the european union, did you pay your taxes or did you worm out of it?

do let me know. thanks guys :)

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #2 of 15
1. No, not that I know of. It's the reason why they have the tax in the first place.

2. They have to, it's the law. But the likely hood is low that they would loose it

3. Can't comment

Couldn't you just buy a used pair from over there?

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #3 of 15
I can only speak from my experience of handling customs in the states. There is no way to circumvent customs unless the package is under declared which decreases the effectiveness of insurance. There is no guarantee they won't open the package regardless of the value. Once the package has exit customs, you need to pay the shipping carrier upon delivery. The shipping carrier actually pays the fee out of customs and later collects it from you. So you would have to negotiate with the company which is very unlikely.

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #4 of 15
do they normally have tax reliefs for students?
thing is, there is a retailer in the uk (none in ireland). BUT he does not have a website. so...........................
thing is i'm not too fond of buying used headphones. i suppose the 'pristine-ness' of it is lost. and if possible i'd rather get a new one.

Sep 19, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #5 of 15

Quote:
thing is i'm not too fond of buying used headphones. i suppose the 'pristine-ness' of it is lost. and if possible i'd rather get a new one.

I get that too. I'm 99% certain I'm 99% wrong, but would there be a retailer over there for the LCD-2?

Sep 20, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
thing is, there is a retailer in the uk (none in ireland). BUT he does not have a website. so...........................

not too fond of dealing with retailers who do not have a website. and the retailer in the uk does not have one.

i don't think taxes was the main reason why Greece is in such a dire condition.. but hey, if you were saying that as a joke i'm sorry i took it too seriously. :/

Sep 21, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #11 of 15
i just got it today.

1. i got it 3 days after i ordered and paid.
2. i wasnt taxed.
3. these cans sound AMAZING. Definitely much better than those dr. dre beats everyone is wearing.

triple happiness :D

Sep 21, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
i just got it today.

1. i got it 3 days after i ordered and paid.
2. i wasnt taxed.
3. these cans sound AMAZING. Definitely much better than those dr. dre beats everyone is wearing.

triple happiness :D

Lucky!

Whats your source? 

Sep 21, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #13 of 15
thing is i upgraded from a shure 530.

right now my source is just a measely ol ipad with 320kbps tracks.
little dot mk iii for the amp.

and right now i'm hearing things so clearly. compared to the shure 530 that is. the bass is accurate and 'there'. i can hear the strumming on the guitar as the pick hits each string. and the guitar is just an accompanying instrument!
i want to upgrade the amp to the sr71b and the dac to the algorhythm. but honestly at this point in time, i wonder if there is any way the music i am listening to could be any better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back