Is there a way to mod Beats by Dres to not suck?
Aug 24, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Polishing a turd, man, don't bother.  Not even the housing and headband are worth reusing for a driver transplant or something, unless you really love the look.

they look cheap and cheesey imo lol. not sure why so many people like the styling

Aug 24, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #17 of 40
Because they do look cool.

Aug 24, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #21 of 40
sounds like folklore, the story is that some producer or artist that was sponsored by beats actually cannot stand them, since they are so inaccurate and would be useless for a performer after a reference for stage or studio use. The problem is they have to appear as if they are using them, so they replaced the drivers.

not that the d7000 drivers would be all that much better here =) oops did I say that?

OP sell them and get something decent, they look as stupid as they sound IMO, funny how so many people think they are the bomb

Aug 24, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #24 of 40
i wont experiment if the experiment costs as much as a D7000....

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #25 of 40
i'm all in favor of experimentation, but i'm also in favor of picking your battles. the path of least resistance here is to sell them, as the resale value for these will be pretty decent; then buy something that actually represents the value. hell buy some fostex and set about modding them if its DIY fun you are after. As with speakers the drivers need to be tuned to the enclosure with headphones, you cant just throw some decent drivers at the beats and expect good results, even if you can get past the looks. whos to say part of the of the beats fail isnt a badly tuned craptastic enclosure? does the OP have the gear to find this out? I doubt it.

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #26 of 40
Quote:
... whos to say part of the of the beats fail isnt a badly tuned craptastic enclosure? does the OP have the gear to find this out? I doubt it.

There's such thing as too much optimism. 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 25, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #27 of 40
Quote:
i'm all in favor of experimentation, but i'm also in favor of picking your battles. the path of least resistance here is to sell them, as the resale value for these will be pretty decent; then buy something that actually represents the value. hell buy some fostex and set about modding them if its DIY fun you are after. As with speakers the drivers need to be tuned to the enclosure with headphones, you cant just throw some decent drivers at the beats and expect good results, even if you can get past the looks. whos to say part of the of the beats fail isnt a badly tuned craptastic enclosure? does the OP have the gear to find this out? I doubt it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YjbkLpcJhc&playnext=1&list=PL0551E6E1E7F4EDCE&feature=results_main see this from 2:20 and onwards where he opens the driver grill. you can see behind there is this wierd foam and a wierd grill that belongs to lower end headphones, im not sure how others look like though, but i do know that solo drivers are GOLD in colour

Aug 25, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #29 of 40
yeah well that makes it less likely, you would have to utterly gut the headphones to fit anything half decent in there. is all that active circuitry bass boost etc?  ie is all that in there whether you have the wireless version or not? looks pretty weak. yeah real reference class headphones

Aug 25, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #30 of 40
Quote:
yeah well that makes it less likely, you would have to utterly gut the headphones to fit anything half decent in there. is all that active circuitry bass boost etc?  ie is all that in there whether you have the wireless version or not? looks pretty weak. yeah real reference class headphones

its not bassboost, its noise canceling syste- oh wait, does it have an integrated amp inside of it? o.o i heard from some unreliable sources that it does

Users who are viewing this thread

Back