Is there a way to mod Beats by Dres to not suck?
Aug 23, 2012 at 10:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Jome

New Head-Fier
Alright before you attack me for mentioning the Beats on an audiophile forum I would like to say that I did not pay for the beats nor do I approve of them thus the title of the post. However now that I do have these free beats I was wondering if there is a way that I could modify them to not suck? Should I just totally replace the drivers and dampening with some ortho drivers and add my own dampening? or is there another way to do this? Are they just to far gone to even bother with? Let me know what you think! Thanks!

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #4 of 40
Quote:
Oh awesome! Was there a good result?

I'm not sure where I heard of it but in the end I think the modder was pretty much trolling the general public at whichever event he took them to. Of course denon 7000 drivers are gonna be vastly superior to the crap that beats produces. Even their 1 good headphone is still not worth half its asking price :p.

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #5 of 40
but im pretty sure the D7000 drivers will sound better in its own shell rather than the dumb shaped style shell right?

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #6 of 40
True. My point is though that the modder was being a smart ass and trolling others, making them think beats actually have quality when that clearly wasn't the case lol. I guess you could call it dark audiophile humor :wink:.

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #7 of 40
Quote:
I think the modder was pretty much trolling the general public at whichever event he took them to

Ba ha ha that sounds about right!!!

Quote:
im pretty sure the D7000 drivers will sound better in its own shell rather than the dumb shaped style shell

Ha ha very true! Also I don't have the money to pony up for some D7000s is there any cheaper standalone drivers I could buy to make it sound better?

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

Ba ha ha that sounds about right!!!

Ha ha very true! Also I don't have the money to pony up for some D7000s is there any cheaper standalone drivers I could buy to make it sound better?

Dude if you got them for free why not sell them to a sucker... I mean beats fan :wink: for an exorbitant amount of money like they retail for. Then you can get yourself a good pair of headphones. Maybe even a used pair of Denon 2000s.

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #10 of 40
Quote:
ha ha good point, I just wanted to know if it was possible.

Could be possible but much harder (and unlikely) than the above choice. As they say you can polish a piece of crap but in the end all you have is a shinny piece of sh%t. :wink:

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #11 of 40
Quote:
Could be possible but much harder (and unlikely) than the above choice. As they say you can polish a piece of crap but in the end all you have is a shinny piece of sh%t. :wink:

well if you do want to mod, you have to :
1. buy a headphone
2. break it and remove its driver
3. put it in the crappy beats casing IF it fits and redo its wireing
4: it will only sound better if you buy a decent headphone, worse is if you buy a Grado driver. have fun wasting many hundreds of bucksXD

so why not skip step 2-4 and just finish at step 1? :D

(side note: oh wait i think i quoted the wrong person, this post does not relate to that at all o.o")

Aug 23, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #14 of 40
I haven't listened to any of these phones myself.

The most common observation about these phones is that they feature a lot of bass. This sometimes balloons out of control and contributes to a muddy sound obscuring the rest of the mix.

Not all the models get totally panned

No headphones are perfect and most can be improved by some judicious pre-processing of the signal. This can be accomplished in a multitude of ways, probably the simplest for someone with limited knowledge of electronics would be to use a multi-band graphic equaliser. A more sophisticated approach is to build a custom filter tailored to the headphone. Typically IEMs benefit from a notch filter well up in the treble.

A simple way of cutting down bass is to include a series capacitor in each of the L & R connections to the source. Unfortunately you do not say which model you have or the exact failing of the sound, so it is difficult to make a recommendation about which capacitor value to use. You would almost certainly have to do some experimentation anyway.

For 16 ohm phones a 220 microfarad cap will cut the bass from ~45Hz down with increasing effect the lower the frequency. The SMALLER the capacitor the bigger the effect (the higher the cut will start). Of course your phones may have an impedance greater than 16 ohms, requiring an even smaller cap. You should preferably use film-type caps, but in the circumstances aluminium electrolytic are permissable. Try to avoid tants.

This is not to disagree with the consensus which seems to be that it would be better to simply exchange them for some other phones, depending on the model they might well still be unacceptable even with filtering.

w.

Aug 23, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #15 of 40
Quote:
Alright before you attack me for mentioning the Beats on an audiophile forum I would like to say that I did not pay for the beats nor do I approve of them thus the title of the post. However now that I do have these free beats I was wondering if there is a way that I could modify them to not suck? Should I just totally replace the drivers and dampening with some ortho drivers and add my own dampening? or is there another way to do this? Are they just to far gone to even bother with? Let me know what you think! Thanks!

Polishing a turd, man, don't bother.  Not even the housing and headband are worth reusing for a driver transplant or something, unless you really love the look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back