Is there a way to make Grados more comfortable?
Apr 29, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #31 of 49
Toughen up your ears; clamp them in a mini-vice for 30mins a day each ear, soon your grados will be so comfy!

Apr 29, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #32 of 49
I found the Grados slightly uncomfortable at first but as someone pointed out in an earlier thread - a bunch of people wear them incorrectly. The headphone pads just read slightly on the back lobe of your ear (not so far that your ear is sticking out, but enough so that it's on it and mostly covered). It sounds better and is MUCH comfortable. You're not supposed to wear these directly on your ears.

Apr 29, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #33 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Resilience and tenacity. Eventually your ears' oils and stuff soften up the pads. When I first got my SR325is, my ears would hurt after every half hour or so of listening, requiring me to take the cans off and massage the top of the lobe. Now I hardly feel them. Lighter Grados (like my SR80s) are nicer to your ears in this regard.

My experience as well, with both models. I've had the SR325i's for almost a year, and while it did take some time, the pads did soften.

Even when the pads were uncomfortable, the sound was worth it
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #34 of 49
If soaking the pads in soap doesn't work out, try fabric softener mixed with a bit of water. Softened my bowls nicely.

Apr 30, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #35 of 49
I tried the bowls and just couldn't take the discomfort. I may go back and try them someday but the Senn pads really did the trick for me and although the yellow is a bit odd looking - they are now very comfortable and that's what matters most.

Apr 30, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #37 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by sschell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If soaking the pads in soap doesn't work out, try fabric softener mixed with a bit of water. Softened my bowls nicely.

I used shampoo with conditioner. Soft and sweet smelling!

May 27, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #38 of 49
I am having the same discomfort at the top of my ears. I have the Confy pads that came with the MS-1s.

I was curious before I tried this. I was going to buy these but wanted to know if they are what everyone refers to as bowl pads???
Grado Replacement SR80, SR125, SR225, SR325i, RS Pads

The yellow senn pads are extremely rough even after been washed (countless times) with everything from shampoo to fabric softener. The grain on the foam is just rough.

I was thinking of doing the sock mod but was wondering, wouldn't a rolled up sock just put more distance from the driver to the ear?

Squaring off the headband did help alot though.

May 27, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #39 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoyi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am having the same discomfort at the top of my ears. I have the Confy pads that came with the MS-1s.

I was curious before I tried this. I was going to buy these but wanted to know if they are what everyone refers to as bowl pads???
Grado Replacement SR80, SR125, SR225, SR325i, RS Pads

Squaring off the headband did help alot though.

I've had the bowls with my previous SR80 -- I had to hand-wash and condition them several times before they became comfortable to wear. Straight from the factory, they are about 2 steps from sandpaper!! But the bowls do create an air-space around your ear for good bass response.

I recently bought the MS1, I love the the comfy pads, both for the comfort and the great sound they give. (I did cut a hole in the center of the pads, using a US quarter or about 2 cm., which increases the clarity some.)

I also toyed with the headband some to relief a bit of pressure. You should try to slide them down your ear a bit so they don't press on the top of your ear. So I think you are doing the right thing.

I wish I could compare it with some Grado bowls, but don't want to spend the money right now on an experiment.

I

May 27, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #40 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This mod works every single time. Never fails!

Only if you want to fall asleep while listening to your music. I prefer to rock out.
tongue.gif

May 27, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #41 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmhaynes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had the bowls with my previous SR80 -- I had to hand-wash and condition them several times before they became comfortable to wear. Straight from the factory, they are about 2 steps from sandpaper!! But the bowls do create an air-space around your ear for good bass response.

I recently bought the MS1, I love the the comfy pads, both for the comfort and the great sound they give. (I did cut a hole in the center of the pads, using a US quarter or about 2 cm., which increases the clarity some.)

I also toyed with the headband some to relief a bit of pressure. You should try to slide them down your ear a bit so they don't press on the top of your ear. So I think you are doing the right thing.

I wish I could compare it with some Grado bowls, but don't want to spend the money right now on an experiment.

I

Yeah same reason I have been holding back in buying those pads.

I have 2 pairs of the yellow stuff that I have been experimenting on but they still feel like cheese graters on my ears.

I am using the pads that came with the MS1s as well but I screwed up the hole
frown.gif
so I am using them backwards (the hole that held them to the headphone is now on my ear) with my butchered hole in the back (exacto knife sliced through a section of the quarter.....) So the holes are a bit bigger than I would like.

I was also thinking of grabbing these and testing them out, I can just walk down to the store and pick them up to run some experiments
Foam Earpads Replacement - RadioShack.com

May 27, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #43 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by peepee-king /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the Grado comfy pads even though I know the bowls sound better. The comfys do bring out more of the lower end though. I also changed the headband to a self-adjusting set, but it's not a mod everybody can do unfortunately.

For some reason, the comfy pads hurt my ears more than the bowls.
Maybe I'm just odd?
confused_face_2.gif
confused_face.gif

May 28, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #45 of 49
Ok after lots of experiments this is the 2 that I have been using the most.

Foam Earpads Replacement - RadioShack.com

The radio shack pads increase the in your face factor and they don't bite into your upper ear since they fit to almost the size of the headphone.

And this one is what I have been experimenting with.

It's a the yellow senn pads with some old soft cloth pads from a sony headphone that I found in the garage.

Pros.
This greatly increased the sound stage on the ms1s and they are OHHHH so comfy.

Cons.
They lost some of the IN YOUR FACE sound.

test1uha.jpg

test2ajl.jpg

I will do more experimenting with the radio shack pads. (They were listed at $4.99 but the radio shack I went to rang them up at $2.99 (results may vary))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back