Is there a way to make Grados more comfortable?
Apr 24, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #18 of 49
In my experience, the bowl pads need time to soften up, and your ears need time to adjust to them. People have hastened this process by washing it a few times in shampoo. You can try upgrading to the jumbo pads, but not without compromising the sound signature (heck, sometimes for the better though)

Apr 24, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #19 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by qib /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can you lie down with grados or will it slip of your head? Do you have to sit upright? I'm asking because comfort is the only thing stopping me from getting grados.

I can lie down, but you need a pillow or something to support them, particularly heavier ones like the SR325is.

Apr 24, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #20 of 49
To soften the foam bowls, let them soak in a sink with a good bit of shampoo and conditioner (more than you would put in your own hair) for a couple of hours. Hand dry them, and let them dry overnight, and your bowls will be very soft -- and nice smelling, too. (No flames from those who like the Grado factory glue smell!!!!)

Apr 24, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #21 of 49
hmm maybe i just have a big head or something, but my sr80s are pretty stable on my head. I head bang all the time and it's fine for the most part, unless less I start jumping around lol. I can do push ups with the grados on and they'll stay one fine for me. I can feel them shift ever so slightly, but they stay on none the less =). I should note that i haven't bent the headband.

As for comfort, i use the sock mod =D. It works wonders for me and i can wear them for quite a few hours longer as opposed to around 1 hour with just bowls. I roll them up and put them around the outside on the circumference of the bows. I know it sounds weird, but it works nicely. Sound is just the same, maybe just a tad more bass.

Also the way you wear your grados should be considered.. i find there is a sweet spot/position that allow you to wear them longer..

Just my thoughts =)

Apr 24, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #22 of 49
Wash the bowls with soapy water a few times. they become nice and soft, and it doesn't change the sound sig very much. You can also buy c-pads from headphile, but those are pretty expensive and really mess withthe sound.

Apr 25, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #23 of 49
washing the bowls (i did it with shampoo) makes it very very comfortable.. however, on my ms-pro instrument separation suffers as now the bowls are softer and the driver is placed closer to my ears. the washing also tones down the treble (which may be prefferable for bright grados).

Apr 25, 2009 at 7:49 AM Post #26 of 49
This mod works every single time. Never fails!

hd650550ey7.jpg

Apr 25, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #27 of 49
the bumblee mod, i think it's called...i believe soloz audio has the jumbo pads dyed black so they aren't quite as objectionable as the yella eyesores...i previously bought an hd595 cardas cable upgrade and he is reliable...try the bottom of this page....$14 for a pair

SA Headphone Upgrades

Apr 25, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #28 of 49
I guess I'm lucky and have the right sized head or something.

I read all over about Grados being uncomfortable, but I bought them because of the superior sound quality.

Straight out of the box, I love them, no comfort issues. I LOVE the way the feel. Flats and bowls, SR-60 and 325. I will say though, that if you tilt your head downward while wearing the 325is, they will start to slip, but I don't every really have to do that.

Apr 29, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #29 of 49
I'll try the following suggestions and let you know how it goes

1) Adjust headband by bending it
2) tube sock mod
3) yellow (ugly) pad mod
4) rubbing my ears with sand paper to form calluses

Thanks!

Apr 29, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #30 of 49
washing your pads in soapy water softens them up very nicely. maybe it might make them more comfortable.

my only problem is how to stop them rolling forwards off my head...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back