Is there a way to get rid of my iTunes library?
Sep 9, 2008 at 5:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Zarathustra19

1000+ Head-Fier
I use external hard drives for my music collection, so I can take it between my two computers. I have the drives individually added to my iTunes library. Sometimes when I disconnect my hard drives and reconnect them, the drive letter changes, and I have to add a different drive to the library. This creates a problem. There is no way for me to go through and delete drives from being counted as part of the library that I know of. Right now, I have to go through and delete each non-existent copy of a song individually. I have some albums that have three different copies of the same song listed, two of which "cannot be found". Is there any way to just get rid of my entire library and start over? I even uninstalled iTunes and reinstalled it, but my same library was still there.

Thanks.

Sep 9, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarathustra19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any way to just get rid of my entire library and start over? I even uninstalled iTunes and reinstalled it, but my same library was still there.

I haven't used iTunes for a long time, but as I recall, the iTunes Library (.itl) and iTunes Music Library (.xml) files in your iTunes folder constitute your library. Those are the files you want to delete (or rename to ~.old) if you're going to start over. Uninstalling the program itself won't change your existing library in any way if those two files remain.

Sep 9, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #3 of 6
Have you tried going to Music, then (in edit) Select All, then Delete. This should clear your entire library, then you can drag & drop a folder into My Music or any Playlist.

Sep 9, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #4 of 6
i used to have the same problem while i was using windows. if an external drive shows up with the wrong letter, you can just reasign a own letter. here's the guide. i think if you use high letters like Z, the drive letters should stay the same.

Sep 10, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks guys, I'm sure one of those things will work out. Or all of them.
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried going to Music, then (in edit) Select All, then Delete. This should clear your entire library, then you can drag & drop a folder into My Music or any Playlist.

This one works all the time..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back