Is there a way to feed two input into an output.
Dec 30, 2014 at 2:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Anshur

New Head-Fier
I've been looking in a way to add wireless capabilities to my desktop speakers without having to buy knew one. In particular, I would like to hook up one of my old airport express that I have laying around.

So is there a way to feed two inputs in parallel (not using an either-or switch that is) to one output and doing it without a significant loss in quality (which, as I gather, happens when using Y cable splitters).

Is there a parallel audio switch out there, or an affordable small DAC or something like that?

Thanks in advance :)

Dec 30, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #3 of 6
I want to be able to play music on my speaker wirelessly through the airport express while also being able to play music from the computer.

Obviously I won’t be mixing the two input quite often (aside from sending some music while gaming occasionally) but I want to be able to use either source without having the need to switch from one to the other.

Thus, I could turn my computer off and still pipe in music through the airport without having to switch from and back every time.

Evidently it’s more a question of convenience than anything else, I could very well buy a standard 2 way switch (which I might possibly do) or plug and unplug the cable (which I currently have to do), but I was wondering if there were something out there that would spare me the hassle.

For example, the focal xs book wireless has all of its inputs working in parallel, but sadly my current speakers only have one input.

Dec 30, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #4 of 6
Well, I did find this - it looks expensive...
http://www.henryeng.com/autoswtc.html

I think the issue here is that you want a switch that can sense a signal and then take action. That's possible, but probably not cheap.

Dec 30, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #5 of 6
Yes I saw similar "smart" switch, but they all seem expensive and rather big (I think they're more geared toward professionals studios).

I was more looking toward better splitters than smarter switch, that is that both inputs would remain active but with something preventing one source to feed into the other.

If I understood what I read online correctly, if I plugged both sources into a traditional passive splitter they might feed each other and wreck all kind of havoc on the sources when turned off.

But the more I look, and read, the more it seems my searched is doomed to fail :frowning2:

Dec 30, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #6 of 6
Why not just buy a DAC-HP-Preamp unit like the AudioGD NFB-15? AFAIK the Airport Express has SPDIF output, so it can take one SPDIF input on the DAC-HP-Preamp unit; then you can hook up the computer to the USB input or another SPDIF input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back