Is there a way to DL all photos in a photo album without...
Oct 20, 2007 at 3:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

oicdn

Headphoneus Supremus
...having to pull up each photo, right click and saving it?

My problem is, our photographer has all our pics of a recent photoshoot uploaded to his website in his gallery. Problem is, he already deleted everything off his memory cards. Good news is, everything is already resized into a more friendly size.

So in order for EITHER of us to have all the photos, we'de have to DL each of them individually. Is there any DL program that will let me DL ALL of the photos, without having to open/right click/save as each photo? I don't need the thumbs, just the full sized pics. But if there's a DL program that DLs the thumbs too, I won't care if I have them.

I'm trying to put together a website, and need the photos, but I don't want to have to go about DL each one individually....

Oct 20, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #2 of 15
Picassa? I know it can search folders for available pics. I'm not sure if you can select a remote folder (where your pics are stored), but you can give it a shot.

Oct 20, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #4 of 15
That downthemall program, only lets me DL all the thumbs on that page, not the actuals pics that the thumbs link to. I need the full size pics.

Here's the site:

http://www.timothyjayphoto.com/photography/ffk?page=1

I need the full size photos that show up when you click on one of the thumbs.

Oct 20, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #5 of 15
Ah ok. that site is a bit more complex so that wouldn't work. Why don't you just have the photographer give you all the files in one archive / zip file?

Oct 20, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #6 of 15
He deleted them all. The only source he has, is what's uploaded. He doesn't have them saved on his comp in a file that he could just zip to me. He's in the same predicament as I am.

Oct 21, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #7 of 15
bizzump...anybody?

Oct 21, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #8 of 15
Surely the photographer has access to the directories in which the pictures are stored? It should be trivial to copy all of the photos at once from the folder they're stored in.

If not, maybe the BatchDownload Firefox extension might work. I haven't tried it out, but it looks as if it can download sequentially numbered images like the ones in the gallery.

EDIT: Just tried it out, and it will do exactly what you want!

Oct 21, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #9 of 15
Hah, I asked the photographer, he said the directories are listed by folder, but it won't let him DL the folders/directories, just individual files or pictures.

But, this works perfectly, I have to open each page individually though, but it's better than opening up 16 images individually. Also, it keeps them all in order that they're on the site....sick.

Oct 21, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #10 of 15
I'm surprized that a photographer would only keep 533x800 pixel images of a shoot and delete the originals. These are very low resolution images usually only used for websites but it is very unusual to shoot at these resolutions???

As an previous poster mentioned the photographer (or his website designer) should have access to the folder containing the images and be able to copy them to a zipped file for you.

Oct 21, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #11 of 15
I personally think he's just too busy to have to deal with it. If you ever meet the guy, he's always on the move.

Those are shot just for websites. He uses a 20D, so the images that are shot with that are HUGE, but he uses those just for his website and for people to share I guess.

None the less, that plug-in worked and I have all the pics..now, to making this website....

Oct 21, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #12 of 15
Currently I would just create a small script to download every files,

What I used to do before.

Get ReGet (Shareware version I haven't search for a free version but that will do the work for now you can search for alternative afterward.)

So install Reget Deluxe

Go to Automation -> Generate incremental files

Now input the URL as

http://www.timothyjayphoto.com/photography/albums/ffk/IMG_$$$$.jpg

Start from 2713
Finish at 3111

There will be a few gaps since there 3111 - 2713 = 398 and there is only 386 files in the album.

Maybe someone else can suggest a free software. Reget work great but since I'm now more in linux than windows I won't bother with a search for something I won't use.

Oct 21, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #13 of 15
how long has passed since your wedding? I know it is beating the dead horse, but photogs should at least archive the files for a few years. If he didn't clearly he is not professional enough.

Oct 21, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #14 of 15
I agree with kin0kin. The first thing you do is you get a new photographer. You never delete anything off a memory card until you have it backed up on 2 separate drives (preferably 2 separate physical locations).

The second thing you do is write up a quick little shell script as follows: Code:

Code:
[left]#!/bin/bash # Loop through each picture for((a=2713; a<= 3111; a++)) do wget http://www.timothyjayphoto.com/photography/albums/ffk/IMG_$a.jpg done exit 0[/left]

I'm currently letting this thing run and when it's done I'll try and ZIP them all up and post it here.

Oct 22, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #15 of 15
Well, he's a friend of ours. He did this mainly as a favor. There was payment, but nothing extraordinary, and much cheaper than what he normally charges. I wouldn't expect him to keep photos of hi res stuff if he knew all I would use it for was low res-ing it down to crop and put on a website. All those pics are untouched and just resized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back