Is there a thumb of rule to ration the budget on DAC and Amp in terms of money and sound quality?
Sep 18, 2015 at 4:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

HiAudio

100+ Head-Fier
If we can put the quality in number from 1 to 10 for both DAC and AMP, is there a rule to make the combination to get the best out of fixed budget? Assuming we can't afford for 10 on both DAC and AMP.

I know it's kind of silly and awkward to do this because it's never a linear thing between the quality and money for DAC and Amp.

Say we want to get unit with quality at least with 5 but can only afford up the budget that can get unit with quality of 8 for one unit, not both. How would you allocate your budget?

In another word, is one equipment is more important than the other? or should take higher priority when choosing and budgeting?

Sep 18, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #2 of 17
Typically the spending more on headphones is where you will notice the biggest improvement in audio.

It is also very important that what you listen to is mastered well because if you start with poorly mastered music you are not able to extract anything else out of it than the already poor audio found in the track.  Digging around for better music is my next recommendation.  There are a few sites you can check out for this.

HDTracks
http://www.hdtracks.com/

head-fi
http://www.head-fi.org/t/253245/what-are-you-listening-to-right-now-new-thread-new-rules-please-read-them

YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc5e43zfpOA

The next thing to upgrade assuming you are using a PC as a source is the DAC.  This converts the digital 1's and 0's to the analog signal used by headphones and speakers.  Without a good DAC your PC is going to most likely sound thin, noisy, and down right poor.

The last thing I look at is the amp.  A good amp will help better control the mini speakers inside the headphone.  An external amp will have low output impedance ( < 5 Ohms ), be capable to drive headphones to very loud levels, and not introduce any audible noise to the audio at any volume level.

To get to the start of the audiophile level I typically recommend a budget of around $300.  This covers headphones, amp, and DAC.

You can ready a bit more from these sites:

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/19c7eo/i_am_tyll_hertsens_editor_at_innerfidelitycom/

http://www.headphone.com/pages/digital-audio

http://www.headphone.com/pages/headphone-amps

Sep 18, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #4 of 17
  If we can put the quality in number from 1 to 10 for both DAC and AMP, is there a rule to make the combination to get the best out of fixed budget? Assuming we can't afford for 10 on both DAC and AMP.
I know it's kind of silly and awkward to do this because it's never a linear thing between the quality and money for DAC and Amp.
Say we want to get unit with quality at least with 5 but can only afford up the budget that can get unit with quality of 8 for one unit, not both. How would you allocate your budget?
In another word, is one equipment is more important than the other? or should take higher priority when choosing and budgeting?

It helpful if you list the amount of money in the audio budget?

Sep 18, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #5 of 17
Thank you guys. My phones include Sennheiser HD800, HD600 and AKG K712 Pro. I plan to get the HDVA 600 as amp. I have NuForce Icon HDP as DAC. Recently I got HD800. I planned to get the HDVA 600 in a year but cannot hold the urge to get it soon. But there is no way I have the $$$$ for a good DAC (matching the HD800 and HDVA 600) with all types of inputs and both balanced and unbalanced output.

Sep 18, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #6 of 17
  Thank you guys. My phones include Sennheiser HD800, HD600 and AKG K712 Pro. I plan to get the HDVA 600 as amp. I have NuForce Icon HDP as DAC. Recently I got HD800. I planned to get the HDVA 600 in a year but cannot hold the urge to get it soon. But there is no way I have the $$$$ for a good DAC (matching the HD800 and HDVA 600) with all types of inputs and both balanced and unbalanced output.

You could get a used HDVD 800 amp/DAC for the same price as a new HDVA 600. When I heard the HD 800 on an HDVD 800 and MOON Neo 430HA (which is like $4,300), I didn't hear a difference between the two. But what I would recommend above all else is to get both an affordable and high-end solid-state amp & DAC or amp/DAC, then see if you hear a difference between them.

Sep 19, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #7 of 17

You could get a used HDVD 800 amp/DAC for the same price as a new HDVA 600. When I heard the HD 800 on an HDVD 800 and MOON Neo 430HA (which is like $4,300), I didn't hear a difference between the two. But what I would recommend above all else is to get both an affordable and high-end solid-state amp & DAC or amp/DAC, then see if you hear a difference between them.

I have one open box HDVD 800 from an authorized dealer at hand now. It has defect and I am returning it. I am really afraid of buying used one now. Moon audio has HDVA new at $1275 and I am going to take that one. And I am going to use the DAC on NuForce HDP for a year and the try to match with a better DAC.

Sep 19, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #8 of 17
  I have one open box HDVD 800 from an authorized dealer at hand now. It has defect and I am returning it. I am really afraid of buying used one now. Moon audio has HDVA new at $1275 and I am going to take that one. And I am going to use the DAC on NuForce HDP for a year and the try to match with a better DAC.

Okay, best of luck!

Sep 19, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #9 of 17

Just wanted to add that some computers are better than others. I did not hear a difference between my Alienware M11x R2 laptop and a Schiit Modi 2 DAC, for example.

Great point!

Sep 20, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #10 of 17

Just wanted to add that some computers are better than others. I did not hear a difference between my Alienware M11x R2 laptop and a Schiit Modi 2 DAC, for example.

Nice to know that actually. I havent seemed to find a solid laptop that I particularly liked. Then again, I might be a bit of an audio snob by now and not give it much of a test since I have all my other gear. I will try giving my Lenovo Y40 a listen tomorrow and see how I like it

Honestly, You start the thread making a great question. How to get the most out of a budget? Then you point out these high end headphones, which are great, quite happy for you and owned the HD800's myself at one point.I was completely thrown for a loop at your having an HDVA600. That one expensive piece of gear for most folks around here. While the unit is well regarded, its nowhere near the level of bang for your buck I was expecting you to want. I think you should check out the Head-Fi buyers guide and check out some of those items. 

Sep 20, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #11 of 17
  Nice to know that actually. I havent seemed to find a solid laptop that I particularly liked. Then again, I might be a bit of an audio snob by now and not give it much of a test since I have all my other gear. I will try giving my Lenovo Y40 a listen tomorrow and see how I like it

Laptops are generally overpriced, though, especially luxury ones like Alienware. For the $1,400 I paid for it, I could have gotten a custom desktop with much higher performance, reliability, and so on. I do want to go down the high-end DAC journey someday, but only after getting the best headphones, since that's obviously more important.

Sep 20, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #12 of 17

Honestly, You start the thread making a great question. How to get the most out of a budget? Then you point out these high end headphones, which are great, quite happy for you and owned the HD800's myself at one point.I was completely thrown for a loop at your having an HDVA600. That one expensive piece of gear for most folks around here. While the unit is well regarded, its nowhere near the level of bang for your buck I was expecting you to want. I think you should check out the Head-Fi buyers guide and check out some of those items. 

I admit I am guilty of not strictly limiting expense in real budget sense as the topic started. It's the culprit of defective open box item. I thought a used HDVD 800 at cheaper price would solve all my needs but I had to return it. Saw the HDVA 600 on sale and took the plunge. I will live with NuForce HDP as DAC for a year while looking around for a matching DAC with synergy for the HD800 and HDVA 600 at a reasonable budget. I do want to have all kinds of inputs and both balance and unbalanced output. Not an easy one if I want the budget below $1000.

Sep 20, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #13 of 17

I admit I am guilty of not strictly limiting expense in real budget sense as the topic started. It's the culprit of defective open box item. I thought a used HDVD 800 at cheaper price would solve all my needs but I had to return it. Saw the HDVA 600 on sale and took the plunge. I will live with NuForce HDP as DAC for a year while looking around for a matching DAC with synergy for the HD800 and HDVA 600 at a reasonable budget. I do want to have all kinds of inputs and both balance and unbalanced output. Not an easy one if I want the budget below $1000.

Try Schiit Gungnir....Upgrade to Multi-bit in a year or two when you want

Sep 20, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #14 of 17
  Try Schiit Gungnir....Upgrade to Multi-bit in a year or two when you want

I happened to have browsed Shiit Audio last night after I read a bit about the Bifrost, and their Gungnir, Gungnir Multibit, and Yggdrasil really drew my eyes. I can only believe they will be much better than the Bifrost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back