Is there a "stereo" that plays FLAC?
Apr 4, 2014 at 1:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

lubczyk

100+ Head-Fier
I've been looking at audio solutions for a long time now:

Bluetooth Speakers (Bose Soundlink III)
Sonos
Sony - 1600W 3-Way Mini Speaker System:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-1600w-3-way-mini-speaker-system-with-digital-am-fm-tuner/8986274.p;jsessionid=A4E0EDA340BED7DA0A8A60DF69F0AB66.bbolsp-app02-107?id=1218960290326&skuId=8986274

I just want to play my tunes on a bookshelf with a dac/amp that plays my flac/mp3/m4a files through the SWANS MKIII/KEF X300A/Similar quality speakers and maybe a Sub for bonus.

I want this to be separate from my PC because I don't have the desk space. I don't care about wireless or bluetooth, Bluetooth and wireless would just make msuic management easier since I could just use my Tablet/Phone to choose songs.

Can someone help me out here? I mainly listen to Trance/Dubstep/Dance music but I want to hear the bass at moderate volumes, not just have my room shake.

For reference, I like the Sound of the Phillips Fidelio S2 IEM's. An open sound where you hear the bass instead of feel it.

Edit: LoL, the Bose Soundtouch 30 is out, it doesn't support Bluetooth or lossless files of any kind, Lol what a joke of a company.

Apr 4, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #2 of 9
Don't quote me on this but I "think" some of the higher end DVD players with USB ports on the front or back can serve host duties for external flash drives... and maybe even hard disk drives too.  I am not sure if FLAC is supported by any of them though, but I am pretty sure MP3 is.  I was looking into this a little while ago, but lost interest when I couldn't find one that supported apple lossless.

Apr 4, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #3 of 9
I've been thinking about a setup with a synology NAS with "audio station" hooked up to a USB DAC -> AMP or active speakers.
It appears to support FLAC as well.
This gives you a lot of flexibility in choice of amp (and adds a NAS to your network at no extra cost).
You will need to control it with your smartphone or pc though.

There are some high-end option out there too, like the NAD M51. Too expensive for me, and looking at the other components you're looking at probably for you as well.
Do you have a specific budget in mind? I'm sure there are other options out there, just havent looked at most yet.

Apr 4, 2014 at 3:27 AM Post #4 of 9
So many options

a DLNA device (lots of modern AVR amps) many also take USB and some don't require an external monitor

A boxy box (media streaming box) that can take a USB or network (needs a monitor)

Something like the sonos

A NAS type server (even modern routers and some external HDD have basic capability) but needs an external controller

A Bluetooth adapter to a compatible dock/amp/speaker

I'm sure there's even more options. It's a wireless world LOL

Apr 4, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #5 of 9
Not sure of your budget, but take a look at the Marantz MCR610. It's a WhatHiFi product of the year award winner and will play pretty much anything you throw at it. Works wirelessly, supports DLNA and Aplple Airplay, can plug USB dives into it, can stream from a NAS, has DAB and FM radio and even a CD player :)

Apr 4, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #6 of 9
So many options

a DLNA device (lots of modern AVR amps) many also take USB and some don't require an external monitor

A boxy box (media streaming box) that can take a USB or network (needs a monitor)

Something like the sonos

A NAS type server (even modern routers and some external HDD have basic capability) but needs an external controller

A Bluetooth adapter to a compatible dock/amp/speaker

I'm sure there's even more options. It's a wireless world LOL

+1

How about Apple Airport Express?

Or get a Fiio X3 and use it's line out to connect to your speakers.

Apr 4, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #7 of 9
Would a set of KEF X300A or Definite Technology Incline speakers with 800 Sub connected via USB to a laptop work? That seems like the most versatile setup for me.

Apr 4, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #8 of 9
If you are going to buy a whole setup, why not tell us your budget and more about how you will use it and your needs. We might be able to suggest something even better. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back