Is there a standalone CD player that rips to FLAC or high quality MP3?
Jan 12, 2018 at 5:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

IanS

Head-Fier
I still have about 1500 CDs, and I'm too lazy to rip them as a dedicated task. My CD player just died, so while looking for a new one, I noticed there is an inexpensive TEAC CD-P650 that has a 'record' button that automatically rips the cd to MP3 files (you plug in a USB flash drive to the front, and it rips them onto it).

I can't find any info about the parameters of the conversion, but it got me wondering if anyone makes such a thing that rips to FLAC or some other lossless or high quality format?

I'd love to do the ripping like this, without it really being a task. It would be easy to grab the flash drive every dozen or so rips and catalog them into my main digital library.

Jan 12, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 10
Yes, there are plenty of products like this, ranging from somewhat expensive to silly-expensive...but I can't think of a real reason to spend so much money on that when you can connect just about any cheap USB CD drive to a computer and get identical audio data, as well as much more control.

I use the LG GP10NB20 Portable Super Multi Drive for this, but any similar one will do.

There are all sorts of programs that can scan the disc, retrieve metadata from online databases, and rip to FLAC. (Or any other format.) Some can automate the process (configured whichever way you want, like a particular naming scheme and folder structure) each time you insert a disc, like you would want. Some are compatible with AccurateRip, which verifies that your rip is identical to others. Exact Audio Copy is a fairly popular free one. I use the paid version of dBpoweramp, which has the best features, speed, ease of use, and interface for my purposes. There's a free trial that reverts to a forever free basic version after 21 days.

Jan 12, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #3 of 10
I already have a paid copy of dBPowerAmp, but my current portable drive is crap. You are probably right - I should probably just buy a good quality portable drive and do it manually while working on my PC.

I just thought I'd ask, because if there was an inexpensive unit out there similar to the TEAC, and I'm buying a new CD player anyway, I thought I'd kill two birds at once.

Jan 12, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #4 of 10
I already have a paid copy of dBPowerAmp, but my current portable drive is crap. You are probably right - I should probably just buy a good quality portable drive and do it manually while working on my PC.

I just thought I'd ask, because if there was an inexpensive unit out there similar to the TEAC, and I'm buying a new CD player anyway, I thought I'd kill two birds at once.

It's just that the prices for the type of drive you want tend to be outrageous and they don't even have any real benefit.

Once you configure everything with the setup I described, it's possible to do it automatically. In case you didn't know about this:

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/batch-ripper.htm

Jan 12, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #5 of 10
Now you've got me thinking - do you know if there is a used market for any of those batch loaders? It'd be good to buy one, use it for the collection and then pass it along.

Jan 12, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #6 of 10
Now you've got me thinking - do you know if there is a used market for any of those batch loaders? It'd be good to buy one, use it for the collection and then pass it along.

There's a used market for most things, but I'm not sure how they would apply to a digital system that only reads one disc at a time.

The only batch CD ripper drives I know of cost thousands. Here's an example.

http://www.mfdigital.com/ripstation.html

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #10 of 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back