Is there a simple USB DAC solution better than Streamer II+?
Apr 10, 2011 at 8:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

songforyou

New Head-Fier
Title says it all.  Looking for a cost effective USB solution to listen to lossless files from itunes.  I had a HRT streamer II, but it got fried with a power surge.  Recently bought a DACport for my computer area (love it), but I need another DAC for my basement set up.  Have LCD-2 phones.

Is there anything competitive?

Thanks!

Apr 12, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #2 of 17
I'm curious as well, anyone know how this would stack up to, say, the Musiland Monitor 02?  I know the Streamer II+ is a price-bracket ahead, but it relies on the USB power.

Apr 13, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #4 of 17
Yes, I've tried the DACport briefly and it does work well.  I suppose I could always by another one, but part of me finds it odd that I'm tricking a portable head amp/DAC into working as a DAC alone.  Can't figure out why HRT has little/ no competition in the price range.  It be nice if CEntrance could make a straight little USB DAC.

Apr 14, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #5 of 17
I just bought the MSII+ to run with my iMac and the Schiit Lyr until I see what Schiit comes out with as far as a dac, or find a dac that is prefect for strictly computer listening. I can give you my opinion of it ina few weeks. I will obv try it on the Lyr and the fiio e9. I have been looking for a no frills computer dac with good performance, the HRT MSII+ seems logical to me even though it hasn't really gotten as much exposure on this forum as I would have thought. I too have a tough time see how the dacport can be a strict dac as its intended purpose is for portable use, but many people on here swear buy it. Some people have said that the dac portion is better than the MSII+, I can't agree or disagree since I have heard neither as of now. Computer audiophile is def taking over so maybe more options will be available in the future, I just can't see myself getting a dac that has an abundance of features that I will never need. This is why I choose to go with the MSII+. Worse comes to worse I evenutally get a better dac for the Lyr and use the MS2+ with the e9 as a secondary set up, which will undoubtedly be an upgrade from my e7. Anyways, hope you find what your looking for.

Apr 14, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #7 of 17
I own a II+ along with a beta22 and lcd-2. After six months with it I can wholeheartedly recommend it for someone who spent most of his budget on lcd-2.
Though it may be harsh on the edges on some recordings, it really scores great on the better ones. But I will soon be parting with this dac. Having this kind of headphone with this dac there's a bit more to desire.
Read my review in the gear section of head-fi.

Apr 14, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #8 of 17
 Looks like another good option, it is the same price as the MSII+ here in the states ($350). I went with an open box MSII+ for $295 so i hope it works out.

Apr 14, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #9 of 17
ZERO DAC about $100 used, it's certainly a cheaper option. Upgrade the op-amps (which means taking out one in place of another) and you basically have a Yulong D100 or whatever op-amp based DAC you want to mimic.

IMO unless faulty all op-amp based DACs when matched like-for-like will sound identical, there isn't an improvement to be heard until moving up to discrete.

Apr 14, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #10 of 17
jronan2,

Very curious to hear how the e9 compares to the Lyr with the same source.  Somewhat off topic, but I started the thread (ha!).  You can respond to me directly if that's preferable.  I've got 3 systems in the house (livingroom, basement, computer desk) and I'm juggling sources and amps at present (and trying to stay married at the same time).

Thanks!

Apr 14, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #11 of 17
Ok I will when it comes in. I'm just hoping I'm not going to run into any b/s since i bought an open box. I'm very interested to see how much of an improvement a quality dac makes in one's listening experience. I mean I know the MSII+ isn't the greatest dac out there by any stretch, but for more than 3x the price of an e7 I think I will see a decent difference. I know about 3 people on these forums that  happily run the MSII+ with the Lyr so I hope it suits me well until I decide what I really want and use the MSII+ with the e9. What amp would you being running out of the MSII+?

Apr 14, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #12 of 17
Amp is up in the air.  I just bought a DACport for by computer workstation.  It is very smooth and musical.  I've used it with HD600s and my new LCD-2s.

I'm considering the Centrance DACmini for my stereo system because I need both an amp and a USB DAC there too.  I'm also looking at the e9 and the Lyr as possible partners with an MSII+.

I currently have a Glowamp 1 and a now 'vintage' Pioneer receiver which I've tested briefly with the LCD-2s.  Haven't had time to listen extensively.

My main amp is a Mapleshade Scott 222c which I love, but the headphone out is too noisy.  I'm going to have a good local tube tech take a look at it.  It has great potential. 

Apr 14, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #13 of 17
Wow the dacport can push the LCD 2's? i would also consider the matrix m stage as another option heard nothing but great things about it.

Apr 15, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #14 of 17
The DACport does an admirable job with the LCDs.  I certainly think an externally powered amp might provide additional control, but the DACport is eminently listenable.  Have been listening to it since for about 6 hours (with a break of about half an hour) and it is very engaging and non-fatiguing.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back