Is there a semi-sealed headphone?
Jan 5, 2006 at 7:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Fred

Head-Fier
OK I've heard that the best sounding headphones are fully open. Problem is everybody I work w/ can hear everything I listen to on my k501's. Is there a good can in the $100 range between a sealed and an open?

Jan 5, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #2 of 23
IM in the same boat. Too much isolation and my co workers have to shout at me, not enough and I annoy my co workers.

So for me its Grados / KTXPro1 at a quiet level.

the AKG K240 series cans fit your description. Note however they need amplification.. some need beefy amplification.

Garrett

Jan 5, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred
OK I've heard that the best sounding headphones are fully open. Problem is everybody I work w/ can hear everything I listen to on my k501's. Is there a good can in the $100 range between a sealed and an open?

Maybe the DT 231?

Jan 5, 2006 at 8:01 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
IM in the same boat. Too much isolation and my co workers have to shout at me, not enough and I annoy my co workers.

So for me its Grados / KTXPro1 at a quiet level.

the AKG K240 series cans fit your description. Note however they need amplification.. some need beefy amplification.

Garrett

Grados as in sr60's and 80's? I heard that they leak sound pretty bad too. Does a bowl style pad help w/ that? I've always wanted to sample some Grados so anybody in Connecticut who has a pair a Grado's that wants to sample some k501's, give me a pm and maybe we can swap for a little while...

Jan 5, 2006 at 9:00 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Headroom does write a compelling review on them. I'll have to look into them further. -Thanks

Keep in mind that they're listed as closed cans, but they reportedly leak a bit.

Jan 5, 2006 at 9:29 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
Keep in mind that they're listed as closed cans, but they reportedly leak a bit.

I don't mind if my phones leak SOME sound but k501's are ridiculous. They do sound oh so good to the user though
icon10.gif
Do Grado SR60's leak very badly?

Jan 5, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

I don't mind if my phones leak SOME sound but k501's are ridiculous. They do sound oh so good to the user though
icon10.gif
Do Grado SR60's leak very badly?

Yes, all Grados leak badly.

Jan 5, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #10 of 23
(edit: referring to the DT880) Semi open, but they leak all kinds of sound and let all kinds of sound in. They're effectively acoustically open, their enclosure just doesn't let them flop around in the wind like most
wink.gif

The Audio Technica closed headphones offer fair one-way isolation and good sound quality - they don't let much out, but you can still hear people talk to you at normal conversation levels (though somewhat muffled, still understandable).

Jan 5, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #11 of 23
The HD497 had kind of a semi-sealed design -- it rested on the ears instead of around them, and it let sound in without letting too much sound out. I don't know if Sennheiser's new line of phones is the same way.

Jan 5, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley
(edit: referring to the DT880) Semi open, but they leak all kinds of sound and let all kinds of sound in. They're effectively acoustically open, their enclosure just doesn't let them flop around in the wind like most
wink.gif

The Audio Technica closed headphones offer fair one-way isolation and good sound quality - they don't let much out, but you can still hear people talk to you at normal conversation levels (though somewhat muffled, still understandable).

One way would be perfect. Some of my in-ear wearing co-workers jump out of their skin when they get tapped on the shoulder by people who can't get their attention. I work in a pretty quiet environment so I wouldn't be bothered by a lot of outside noise. What should I expect to get if I (gasp!)sell my k501's (that I still have the original box) for?

Jan 5, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Grados as in sr60's and 80's? I heard that they leak sound pretty bad too. Does a bowl style pad help w/ that? I've always wanted to sample some Grados so anybody in Connecticut who has a pair a Grado's that wants to sample some k501's, give me a pm and maybe we can swap for a little while...

Not with me.
Then again I dont listen to them very loud at all. And the "buzz" around my office helps mask the little noise that does get out. PLus we have office cube walls that are ~6 feet tall.

YMMV depending on your listening habbits and surroundings

Users who are viewing this thread

Back