Is there a reason to upgrade my Schiit Stack?
Dec 5, 2017 at 11:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

z1ggy

New Head-Fier
I have the stack paired with a set of HD650's and also my old AD-700's. Other than volume, I don't notice a massive difference between the Magni 2 amp (with and without Modi) and my Fiio E10k. Do I need to shell out the big $$ to notice any type of difference, or is my source material holding things back, if at all? Mainly use the 650's for metal/rock/ gaming, and the 700's for podcast or material where it's mainly human voice or higher mids/trebles. Most music material is off youtube or MP3, but I do have a few FLAC sources.

I thought about a nicer tube set up, but I've seen video stating some amps like the Woo WA7 won't work with Razer surround, which I absolutely love/need for my FPS games.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #2 of 13
The 650 for gaming? Nooooo! Jokes aside, if you have trouble differentiating between the E10k and the Magni + Modi, then either you aren't very picky at all or your source is holding you back. YouTube has horrible quality IMO. What type of mp3 are you listening to? 320kbps is fine and most people can't tell the difference between that and 16/44.1 FLAC, but lower bit rates are noticeably worse.

The Stack is pretty good, and I think the next step is the Bottlehead Crack or the Darkvoice 336. From what I've heard, tubes are hands down the way to go with the 650. I haven't heard tube amps yet but out of my Jotunheim, the 650 gets a little brighter and seems to have much more detail and punch than my Magni 2. Going balanced also sounds better than the Jot's Single Ended output. But for you, tubes all the way. Everybody says that the 650 absolutely shines with the Bottlehead Crack.

Dec 5, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #3 of 13
Idk about amps + virtual surround sound but the 650 is not a good gaming headphone and is much better suited for music. Perhaps grab an HD598 for gaming and keep your 650 as a dedicated music headphone and buy it a tube amp

Dec 5, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #4 of 13
The 650 for gaming? Nooooo! Jokes aside, if you have trouble differentiating between the E10k and the Magni + Modi, then either you aren't very picky at all or your source is holding you back. YouTube has horrible quality IMO. What type of mp3 are you listening to? 320kbps is fine and most people can't tell the difference between that and 16/44.1 FLAC, but lower bit rates are noticeably worse.

The Stack is pretty good, and I think the next step is the Bottlehead Crack or the Darkvoice 336. From what I've heard, tubes are hands down the way to go with the 650. I haven't heard tube amps yet but out of my Jotunheim, the 650 gets a little brighter and seems to have much more detail and punch than my Magni 2. Going balanced also sounds better than the Jot's Single Ended output. But for you, tubes all the way. Everybody says that the 650 absolutely shines with the Bottlehead Crack.

Yeah not the best but the AD-700 has practically nothing on the low end for explosions, etc. Excellent sound stage, very good with vocals and that, but wasn't cutting it. I got a good deal on 650's so since they are slightly better to my ears on the lower mids and subs, I use them for games and anything heavier music related.

My sources are almost all 320 and like 10-12% is FLAC. I notice a difference between the two but it isn't huge. Mainly to me, it just sounds more "clear" and precise.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #5 of 13
Yeah not the best but the AD-700 has practically nothing on the low end for explosions, etc. Excellent sound stage, very good with vocals and that, but wasn't cutting it. I got a good deal on 650's so since they are slightly better to my ears on the lower mids and subs, I use them for games and anything heavier music related.
I guess I'd just rather have natural soundstage over low end impact. Do you have a budget for an upgrade?

Dec 5, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #6 of 13
You could try the Fidelio X2 instead of a new amp. It'll have good bass and a much better Soundstage than the 650. Much easier to drive and infinitely better for gaming as well

Dec 5, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #7 of 13
I guess I'd just rather have natural soundstage over low end impact. Do you have a budget for an upgrade?
Well to me there's impact, then there's clarity and accuracy. For music, I much desire accuracy and clarity of bass... imagine distinctly hearing each "thud" of the double bass in metal, as opposed to what kind of sounds like one bassy noise that just flucutates in volume a bit as the sound decays between hits. That's the headphone I need for music. For games, I don't need that because the explosion I want to 'wow' me and I want to feel that impact like it's right next to me. For that, I don't really feel like I need the precision aspect of the headphone so much.. If that all makes sense.

Budget... Well, I'm honestly considering selling the modi b/c my PC mobo handles the DAC duty just fine I think. If I'm going tubes, I'd say no more than $500? May even sell the HD650's because I think the AD700's + some EQ could be fine for music duties coupled with a better amp.

Dec 5, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #8 of 13
You could try the Fidelio X2 instead of a new amp. It'll have good bass and a much better Soundstage than the 650. Much easier to drive and infinitely better for gaming as well
They were in the running when I was looking for 650's. People convinced me the 650's would be better though because the bass was tighter/better. It's tough because I do not live near a good music store so often I buy, try, then resell if I'm not into it. Everybody hears things different and has also heard many different cans, so it's so subjective.

This thread had something to do with it :
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mid-fi-challenger-phillips-fidelio-x2-vs-sennheiser-hd650.776490/

I am now reading MAd Lust's guide to gaming headphones... Maybe I'll also sell the AD700s for a few bucks, keep the 650's for all my music then go with X2's or even AKG 712 Pros if I Can find a good deal.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #9 of 13
They were in the running when I was looking for 650's. People convinced me the 650's would be better though because the bass was tighter/better. It's tough because I do not live near a good music store so often I buy, try, then resell if I'm not into it. Everybody hears things different and has also heard many different cans, so it's so subjective.
The 650 is pretty much better in a lot of ways, just not for gaming, at all. The X2 destroys the 650 in gaming. Was just curious as to why people pointed you in that direction considering the fact that the headphones are mostly going to be used for youtube and lossy files. The 650 essentially deserves lossless files and a decent amp and DAC (which the Stack is) but judging by what you've said, the X2 is honestly a much better fit. They are different enough to warrant owning both though. I'd much prefer the X2 for gaming and the 650 + tube amp for music. I think that would be the ideal dream setup for most people

Dec 5, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #10 of 13
The 650 is pretty much better in a lot of ways, just not for gaming, at all. The X2 destroys the 650 in gaming. Was just curious as to why people pointed you in that direction considering the fact that the headphones are mostly going to be used for youtube and lossy files. The 650 essentially deserves lossless files and a decent amp and DAC (which the Stack is) but judging by what you've said, the X2 is honestly a much better fit. They are different enough to warrant owning both though. I'd much prefer the X2 for gaming and the 650 + tube amp for music. I think that would be the ideal dream setup for most people
Yeah, I didn't read that headphone guide above, I read other random posts here and also Reddit.

Welp, sounds like X2's and maybe BH Crack or DV is in my future.

Speaking of tube amps... do I really need to spend more than what you've outlined? Like, the Woo WA7 has my attention, but it's pretty pricey. I do listen to a good hour or so of just music per day, so assuming this electronics could last a while.... I'm willing to invest. My 700's are 8 years old or so now...

Dec 5, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #11 of 13
Yeah, I didn't read that headphone guide above, I read other random posts here and also Reddit.

Welp, sounds like X2's and maybe BH Crack or DV is in my future.

Speaking of tube amps... do I really need to spend more than what you've outlined? Like, the Woo WA7 has my attention, but it's pretty pricey. I do listen to a good hour or so of just music per day, so assuming this electronics could last a while.... I'm willing to invest. My 700's are 8 years old or so now...
The Bottlehead Crack is known to be one of the best pairings with the 650, I highly doubt you'd ever need to buy anything else after that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back