is there a reason my Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 is 68ohm?
Jan 15, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #16 of 25
I can see what you're saying. I just imagined they were a bit harder to drive and maybe better quality being a newer model. I don't have the 38ohm version to compare it with. I don't know what to do.

Jan 15, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #17 of 25
If they are a new version, it's possible that they could sound a little different, but don't put too much thought into the exact impedance. In isolation, impedance is just a number doesn't tell you much of anything about sound. Specs need to be considered together, not in isolation. The box says 106 dB sensitivity -- that number tells you that the headphone are going to be very easy to drive regardless of whether the impedance is 38 or 68 ohms.

The posted impedance is just an approximation anyway -- the actual impedance of any headphone with dynamic drivers fluctuates with respect to frequency. The point being again that the posted spec isn't very meaningful.

So if you like them, don't worry about it.

Jan 15, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #18 of 25
One sign about being harder to drive was when I connected them to the phone(Xperia T), at max volume they sounded a little distorted, but not in a bloated way like my former Sennheiser HD212Pro. One step down on volume and all was ok, but my Monster Turbine Pro Copper (16-32 ohms I guess...) never distorts at max volume. And imagine that Android system does not let you reach higher volumes due to that lousy hearing protection policy, so it was not an excessive volume. But connected to my Fiio E07K amplifier it changes everything to better. The minus in mids comparing to Turbines is obvious and the plus in bass comparing to Sennheisers is heard in tightness , not in quantity (it's only the first day of use so far...). I like that , like Turbines, it enhances bass on bass genres(trance, drum&bass, hip-hop) and it keeps it relatively normal where it is not dominant (pop, folk).
I guess you just have to ask your ears what they feel/hear and if it is ok then you should stop reading other's reviews and just enjoy.

Jan 15, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #19 of 25
The headphones are really quiet with my Galaxy S4, but when i pair them with my Asus Xonar Essence STX with the Dolby Headphone it sounds outstanding for electronic music. I don't think you will find much better at any price for the sound and the bass on these things. They're perfect for harder styles of music that require a significant amount of bass and power.

Jan 21, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #20 of 25
This is what Audio Texhnica said..

Thank you for your email. We can confirm that DV247.com are a very well known and reputable reseller – they have been supplier of our products for many years, and have been known to offer very good service and after-service.

If the impedance is stated as 68ohms, this will be a misprint – I have had a quick look on their website, but haven’t yet found it (can see the PRO700MK2ANV, but this is showing the correct impedance. If you could direct us to the direct page, we will get in touch with their marketing department to ensure it is corrected.

As long as the part number is exactly as you have written, however, so either ATH-PRO700MK2, or ATH-PRO700MK2ANV, then we can guarantee that they will be correct to the specs that we have published on our website. If you were to purchase them, and there was any discrepancy, then you would be welcome to contact us again, however as DV247 are a supplier of ours, we would consider it highly unlikely for them to provide any of our headphones that are modified/not genuine.

We do thank you for contacting us, however, as we would prefer our customers are cautious if they see anything that appears suspicious, to ensure that they buy a genuine copy from an authorised reseller.

Well, check the Audio-Technica Central Europe (Budapest-Hungary) answer about the 68 ohm version :

Thank you for choosing Audio-Technica product.
First, I would like to make it sure that your product is genuine. Soundcreation is one of our best resellers in Romania. We are 100% certain that they don't sell fake products.
Regarding the impedance, it's a different story. Unfortunately, all specifications on our websites were wrong with 38 ohms. The correct data is 68 ohms.
We already corrected the Romanian and Hungarian websites (these are operated by our office). Other European websites will be corrected soon.
We are really sorry for any inconvenience it caused.

So, is this odd or what ? Or, the european Ath-Pro700 always had 68 ohms ?

Still, my ATH-Pro700mk2 sound bettter and better after a week of burn-in, so soundwise is just what I wanted. But the clamp-force is horrible, even if i stretched the headband a bit( afraid to strech it more not to break it). I decided to let it streched over the headphone box a few days, it feels better now, but still hurts after a while. Looking now to order M50 pads.

Jan 21, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #22 of 25
Why didn't I think about this till now? I measured them with a good Fluke multimeter and it shows 61-65 ohms, I guess the variations are coming  from the contact points accuracy. So, the answer is 68 ohms. I am still curious about the commercial truth, since there might be some people that buy these products based on specs and those might be unpleasant surprised.

Jan 21, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #23 of 25
I agree. I went for this particular purchase because of the 38 impedance rating. I was planning on using them with my Galaxy S4, but i do DJ at home and they sound amazing so i'm not really bothered about it. But for your average listener who wants a bass dominating headphone for a phone, they surely wont get loud enough unless you have a HTC device with Beats or something. It could be seen as false advertisement if people wanted to be picky and go down that avenue. I don't understand though because of this..

'
Thank you for choosing Audio-Technica product.
First, I would like to make it sure that your product is genuine. Soundcreation is one of our best resellers in Romania. We are 100% certain that they don't sell fake products.
Regarding the impedance, it's a different story. Unfortunately, all specifications on our websites were wrong with 38 ohms. The correct data is 68 ohms.
We already corrected the Romanian and Hungarian websites (these are operated by our office). Other European websites will be corrected soon.
We are really sorry for any inconvenience it caused.'

They never mentioned that they were originally 38ohm. The UK Audio-Technica said the lower impedance version was discontinued under some new law, they never said that they had always been 68ohm even out of error.

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #24 of 25
The multimeter will tell you the resistance, not the impedance. Impedance is for AC circuits and varies with frequency. The stated impedance in the specs is typically measured at a specific frequency (1000 Hz, I think?) Some headphones have large impedance swings +/- 50 Ohms or more, and others have very little. Bottom line: the DC resistance measured by the multimeter might or might not be close to what your amp really sees.

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:45 AM Post #25 of 25
Absolutely correct.
The headphones which I have tested on all were spot on the quoted 1KHz impedence. I made the assumption that for all intents and purposes close enough is good enough

Users who are viewing this thread

Back