Is there a really huge difference with cable quality, and is it worth it to invest in more expensive cables? I'm looking to purchase 3.5mm to RCA cables
Feb 13, 2024 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

DragonSounds

New Head-Fier
Hello all.

I'm pretty new to all of this, and I had asked a question in the intro forum here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hel...for-5-1-audio-to-use-with-my-computer.971705/

I'm Trying to get a new Audio setup for my computer. I currently have a sound card that I want to plug into, so the thought was to get 3.5 to RCA cables so I can get the 5.1 Setup I want through a Sony STR K7000 Receiver I have from years ago.
`

Initially a forum member had recommended me this cable https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5598 and it was a very good price and seemed like a good cable. Other cables didn't seem as nice from other places. However, after reading Monoprice has slow shipping, I decided to check on other sites. Since my father has purchased from "Sweetwater," and has had good experiences with them(I assume this is a company the site recommends?) I went to check out cables on there.

Well upon checking out what Sweetwater has, their cables are MUCH more expensive. The Monoprice cable is $3.50 while the Sweetwater Cables go from $25 up to $65 for this mogami gold cable

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Gold3.52R03--mogami-gold-3.52r-03

Which everyone in the comments says how incredible they are...

I know the reviews basically answer the premise of "are more expensive cables worth it," but I'm curious what exactly makes more expensive cables worth it, how exactly are they better, and in what cases is it worth it to buy a more expensive cable?

Since I am looking to be connecting RCA to 3.5 for 3 separate cables (to replicate the Green/Orange/Black cables that would normally be used in a PC audio 5.1 setup), spending $65 per cable is a lot... They do have $20ish cables, but I'm not sure if it would be a waste and might be worth it more to spend on better cables? My thoughts are to buy a cheap cheap pair to test out my configuration, and if all goes well, maybe invest in the really expensive ones if it's worth it? I want really good quality sound, and I really want to invest in good speakers, so I figure if I have good speakers, but crappy cables, then what's the point? To me it seems like it's an expensive purchase, but I think if it's worth it, it probably is a good investment?

Currently I don't have expensive speakers, so I would assume regular cables would be fine for now.

Thank you for any help and advice.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 11:00 PM Post #2 of 9
I would suggest getting your entire setup in place before exploring cables. Many of us run usb into a dac, then that into an amp.

Feb 13, 2024 at 11:55 PM Post #3 of 9
I did a comparison of 4 different 3.5mm to rca cables I had. The one with the lowest noise floor and most resistant to interference was the Yougreen I got on Amazon and they're very inexpensive.

Feb 14, 2024 at 12:10 AM Post #4 of 9
I did a comparison of 4 different 3.5mm to rca cables I had. The one with the lowest noise floor and most resistant to interference was the Yougreen I got on Amazon and they're very inexpensive.
Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it. I'm curious what the other cables are? The Yougreen cable is interesting because it has a very thin plug for the 3.5mm and that was a concern for me on the others since the 3 plugs are right next to each other on the sound card and others have thicker ends.

Interesting...

Feb 24, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #5 of 9
If you are doing speakers and you want the same cables your local band and artists are all using then get the WBC (worlds best cables). It’s inexpensive, thick as heck, quality material, and works well for cheap.

The Chinese goods are OK but quality is always a big concern. It can fail at anytime and you have no recourse.

Feb 24, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #6 of 9
If you are doing speakers and you want the same cables your local band and artists are all using then get the WBC (worlds best cables). It’s inexpensive, thick as heck, quality material, and works well for cheap.

The Chinese goods are OK but quality is always a big concern. It can fail at anytime and you have no recourse.
Thank you for this reply. I went to take a look and I don't see any RCA to 3.5mm cables. I also found it interesting the cables are rebranded from other Brands. It seems this is a Japanese company that uses other Japanese company cables. The first one I saw used a "Mogami Cable" which I saw was recommended, but this other cable I'm looking at now is from a different company.

These are a bit expensive though. You are correct about the no-name offbrand cables. It also makes me wonder about quality control and if the cable from "UGreen" that the user above had, might not be the same quality and low-noise as the one he has?

It's just nicer to spend $7 a cable instead of $20-$30+ per cable.... Currently, I'm not sure if this is even the way I want to go, which is to plug the RCAs into the REceiver and then the other side would plug into the 3.5mm port on my sound card. I assume that my best bet right now is to just plug directly into my sound card to get the 5.1 surround` sound I want from Music.

However, it makes me wonder if there are other software applications to create 3D besides sound card software. My main concern is music listening, and I currently enjoy the 3D surround sound effects of my sound card.

I'm looking for the immersion, of hearing sound all around me coming from different speakers randomly, not just all the speakers playing the same thing out of them.`

It does make me think that if i want to get the best sound that I should probably invest in the more expensive Mogami cables that I posted above(which is the company WBC uses for their 3.5mm cables). https://www.amazon.com/Foot-Balanced-Connecting-Neutrik-Rean-NYS231BG/dp/B00Y7Z0PRC?ref_=ast_sto_dp`

This is the Mogami Cable https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Gold3.52R03--mogami-gold-3.52r-03

I figured if I had to return something it would probably be better to return a cheaper cable, but I guess it really doesn't matter. I just figured it's a bit more rude to return more expensive items.

I have been meaning to order the cables on Amazon, but haven't yet... But maybe that's a good thing and shouldn't. Do you think I should invest in these Mogami Cables then? Will the sound quality be that much better?

Thank you so much for your time and help, I really appreciate it.

EDIT: for some reason i thought the Mogami Cables were $30, not $65... Maybe I can find a comparable WBC, but so far nope... They do seem to create "Custom Cables" so maybe I could find my luck there...

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2024 at 8:16 PM Post #7 of 9
Feb 24, 2024 at 9:19 PM Post #8 of 9
Thank you for this reply. I went to take a look and I don't see any RCA to 3.5mm cables. I also found it interesting the cables are rebranded from other Brands. It seems this is a Japanese company that uses other Japanese company cables. The first one I saw used a "Mogami Cable" which I saw was recommended, but this other cable I'm looking at now is from a different company.

These are a bit expensive though. You are correct about the no-name offbrand cables. It also makes me wonder about quality control and if the cable from "UGreen" that the user above had, might not be the same quality and low-noise as the one he has?

It's just nicer to spend $7 a cable instead of $20-$30+ per cable.... Currently, I'm not sure if this is even the way I want to go, which is to plug the RCAs into the REceiver and then the other side would plug into the 3.5mm port on my sound card. I assume that my best bet right now is to just plug directly into my sound card to get the 5.1 surround` sound I want from Music.

However, it makes me wonder if there are other software applications to create 3D besides sound card software. My main concern is music listening, and I currently enjoy the 3D surround sound effects of my sound card.

I'm looking for the immersion, of hearing sound all around me coming from different speakers randomly, not just all the speakers playing the same thing out of them.`

It does make me think that if i want to get the best sound that I should probably invest in the more expensive Mogami cables that I posted above(which is the company WBC uses for their 3.5mm cables). https://www.amazon.com/Foot-Balanced-Connecting-Neutrik-Rean-NYS231BG/dp/B00Y7Z0PRC?ref_=ast_sto_dp`

This is the Mogami Cable https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Gold3.52R03--mogami-gold-3.52r-03

I figured if I had to return something it would probably be better to return a cheaper cable, but I guess it really doesn't matter. I just figured it's a bit more rude to return more expensive items.

I have been meaning to order the cables on Amazon, but haven't yet... But maybe that's a good thing and shouldn't. Do you think I should invest in these Mogami Cables then? Will the sound quality be that much better?

Thank you so much for your time and help, I really appreciate it.

EDIT: for some reason i thought the Mogami Cables were $30, not $65... Maybe I can find a comparable WBC, but so far nope... They do seem to create "Custom Cables" so maybe I could find my luck there...

If cables fail, it’s easier to return to an English speaking person with easy return / refund policies. That said, Amazon does have their own return policy as well.

Feb 26, 2024 at 12:00 AM Post #9 of 9
If cables fail, it’s easier to return to an English speaking person with easy return / refund policies. That said, Amazon does have their own return policy as well.
For sure, thank you...

I'm taking a look at these RCA Cables.... and there seems to be a bunch of different types... Regular RCA types, "SPIDF" "High Quality Quad Interconnect Roast Beef Sandwich...."

I'm not sure what I should even be looking for here..... If things couldn't be even more complicated.... lol...

Maybe a lot of this has to do with the company they get their cables from?

Any advice or ways for me to learn more about what cable I would need or want? They don't have RCA to 3.5mm but maybe I could get a custom cable made for the RCA to 3.5s depending how much a "Custom" costs... ... I also realized the subwoofer needs it's own cable, thus I'm looking at what's available now, hence my extreme confusion.... Just look at this page.... just What...

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/...F6-D3BE70AECA68/search?ref_=ast_bln&terms=rca

I just picked 2 random listings next to each other from the same company...

https://www.amazon.com/Foot-RCA-Cable-Pair-Interconnect/dp/B07FQJ7W5D?ref_=ast_sto_dp
https://www.amazon.com/Foot-RCA-Cable-Pair-Interconnect/dp/B08492QVBP?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Maybe it would be better to contact them personally with questions.... I'm looking to get setup quick so I might just buy something for now until I can get the better stuff.

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back