Is there a portable headphone that doesn't touch the ear
Feb 19, 2009 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12
Does anyone know of a portable headphone that does not touch the ears? Sound quality NOT important, this is just for listening to podcasts while working out, and TV and computer use at night so as not to disturb family. I'm envisioning a design with three triangular prongs surrounding the ear that hold the headphone a half inch from the ear.

Background
For nearly 2 years now, I've had really bad itchy ears. All the way to the ear canal. I've seen a couple doctors about it and tried several types of drops, but it still persists. At first I was told it was eczema (dry skin), but then later the same doctor did a culture and found a yeast infection. Drops (multiple prescriptions) provide a bit of temporary relief, but I can't beat this thing. I need to rule out that headphones are causing/exascerbating this. I have stopped using my Ultimate Ears for months now, and still the problem persists. I think I now need to go a couple months without anything touching my ears, if only to rule it out. I need my ears "breathing" at all times.

Feb 19, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #4 of 12
Feb 19, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #5 of 12
Wow, I wasn't aware of that design. It would be perfect if not for the bass tube, which touches the ear (and if it weren't so pricy).

Over the ear still lock in heat, and aren't as portable (or practical) for the gym.

My Ultimate Ears are full customs. They fit great.

Feb 19, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #7 of 12
they do work but there sound is that of 2 dollar ear buds. and if they move then they sound diferent. there cool as hell but if you want bass and a good deep sound than these are a no go. but if you like tinny sounding thats fine.

Feb 19, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #9 of 12
I stumbled this at ClieOS's blog

In Ear Matters: Last Week's Most Interesting

The original site is in Japanese.
ƒI[ƒvƒ“Œ^ƒwƒbƒhƒzƒ“ 400-HS011 yƒTƒ“ƒƒ_ƒCƒŒƒNƒgz
Sorry, google cannot translate it, but picture worth thousand words
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #10 of 12
The bone conduction looks like a good option, I'd just be worried about them shifting from the correct position when I'm moving around. And they're pricy for the bad sound quality you get. But they don't touch the inner or outer ear, which is exactly what I need. I may give them a try. Or perhaps I'll try to glue some prongs onto a $10 pair of portable headphones.

Feb 19, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #11 of 12
You could mod a Koss Portapro or Sportapro by replacing or adding to the temple pads. With a firmer or different material the drivers should be kept off the ears. At least it seems fairly easy to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back