Is There A Portable Amp That Can Make The K701's Shine?
Aug 20, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by hatethatgiraffe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is truly dependant on taste I suppose but to say that only a tube amp can drive them is opening a new can of worms!
Different sound signature for a start!
Is being happy with what you like not part of this journey?
I M not happy with the 701 through my predator but it is listenable!
It Iqube adds so much more to the equation and any suggestion that because of solely it's size that it cannot drive the 701 is tantamount to snobbery!
Of course we are all entitled to our opinion but have you paired the two to enable you to make such a bold statement?

I never once mentioned tube amps, so not sure where you're getting that. I also never said that portable amps can't drive the K701s, but the op's question was which ones can really make them shine, and based upon my experience, the answer is none, not when compared to a decent home amp.

Why accuse of snobbery? It's simply a fact that portable amps don't have the same capabilities as home amps. It's also a simple fact that certain headphones have different requirements in terms of amplification than others, and the K701s are more demanding than many if they are to shine.

Please tell me which home amps you tried with the K701s in order to accuse me of snobbery.

Aug 21, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also never said that portable amps can't drive the K701s, but the op's question was which ones can really make them shine, and based upon my experience, the answer is none, not when compared to a decent home amp. [/snip]

I agree with boomana. I haven't found a portable amp that could really make the K701 shine. The home amps I had now and before I felt did a great job in driving the K701s as I owned those cans twice which allowed me to listen to them in my past setups and my current setups. Best of luck on your search.

Aug 21, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #22 of 31
My Pico, Hornet and iQube barely get by driving my 701s when using an iPod as the source, due to the iPod's low signal output. But when I use my Headroom Micro amp, it does a much better job. The Micro uses two 9 volt batteries and has much more output power than the other three amps I mentioned. It's for this reason, I'm anxious to buy the new RSA SR-71a when it comes out.

Aug 21, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by thejoneser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Pico, Hornet and iQube barely get by driving my 701s when using an iPod as the source, due to the iPod's low signal output. But when I use my Headroom Micro amp, it does a much better job. The Micro uses two 9 volt batteries and has much more output power than the other three amps I mentioned. It's for this reason, I'm anxious to buy the new RSA SR-71a when it comes out.

The Portable Headroom Micro Amp does an equally fine job of letting the K701s shine. Controls them just as well as my main systems Origianl Electronics Master.

As to the original question - yes, there are a lot of good, portable amps that will allow the K701s to strut their stuff. My Headroom Total bithead (the new one with the gain switch) can drive them fine. As would always be the case, more power equals better control - so a bigger portable amp will do a better job. But you can get very satifactory results with the K701s from a smaller amp too.

Aug 21, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #24 of 31
Thanks to all for the feedback. To answer the few raised eyebrows:

I don't wear the 701's outside.

I use the Pico/DAC/Macbook as my home rig

I really love the sound that i'm getting, but being a headfier wanted to know there was an excuse to build a true home system. Sorry about my wallet!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #25 of 31
I'd agree with the joneser and JMCIII, I like the headroom micro amp with the k701s. They sound nice to my ears, and can be portable if you get one of the 07 models that takes 2 9v. I use the micro as my home setup tho...i enjoy it =)

Dave

Sep 16, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only time I have come close to liking the K701 was out of the HR Max Balanced. Does that make me a snob?

yes, a good looking one
wink.gif

While Bada PH-12 and millet hybrid does a fairly good job of powering K701s, I still think there's lot more potential in these toilet bow...headphones. No amp that I've tried amps K701 adequately so far. These need current, and I don't think any batteries will be adaquate, even duracell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back