Is there a Penguin Guide equivalent for vinyl ?
Oct 11, 2003 at 9:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

pcolbeck

100+ Head-Fier
Hi

After not buying any vinyl for about eight years I am looking to get back into it. I have got my old turntable out of the attic and have been playing some of my old LPs. I have aslo started buying vinyl from charity shops etc.

Today I picked up a stack of eight classical music LPs (for £4.00 in total !!!) all in excellent condition. I recognize the conducter and performers on some of them but it set me wondering is there an equivalent to the Penguin Guide to Cds for Vinyl ?

Also does anyone kown how any of the following recordings are rated ?

Brendel plays Beethoven - Piano Concerto No 5 "Emperor" and Fantasy in G Minor

Brendel plays Beethoven Piano Concerto No 1 in C and Rondo In B flat

Both of the above were released by Turnabout Records (a Decca subsidary)

The Enigma Variations and Fantasia On A Theme By Thomas Talis, Malcom Sargent and the Philarmonia Orchestra ( HMV Concert Classics). - 1959 recording.
This one is marked XLP on the back of the sleeve and I wondered what this meant ?

Thanks

Pat

Oct 12, 2003 at 12:28 AM Post #2 of 7
I have been looking for one also. Sorry I am not of any help.
tongue.gif

Oct 12, 2003 at 10:36 PM Post #3 of 7
well, I think a lot of the classic performances have made it directly from vinyl to cd, so if you look at the penguin guide, you may just find what you are looking for. That said, I have had only spotty success with the guide. The best way to do it is to listen to a lot of classical and find out which performers you like, and then base your decisions on that. Most large libraries (particularly university ones) have music libraries where you can listen to cd's and records, so try that out.
I am partial to Russian performers: Mstislav Rostropovich for cello, David Oistrakh for violin and Sviatoslav Richter for piano.
Brendel is good too.
Another thing to try: that penguin guide might have been for records back in the day. Check your local music library for back issues. Talk to the music librarian if there is one...they are very helpful. Music libraries are highly underused, but great resources if you can find them.

Oct 14, 2003 at 2:43 AM Post #4 of 7
sort of. the books were originally for vinyl, then vinyl & cd. libraries, or e-bay may have copies. it's probably been a decade since they did separate reviews for the vinyl and cd versions.

Oct 14, 2003 at 3:45 AM Post #5 of 7
If you go to a used book store, you will likely be able to find a Penguin Guide from the LP era. I myself, happen to have one, that I've saved for reference. Also, Gramophon magazine "online" has some reviews back to the LP age.

-augustwest

Oct 14, 2003 at 11:16 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

If you go to a used book store, you will likely be able to find a Penguin Guide from the LP era. I myself, happen to have one, that I've saved for reference.

Excellent idea, I'll see if I can pick one up.

Thanks

Pat

Oct 14, 2003 at 11:25 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

The Enigma Variations and Fantasia On A Theme By Thomas Talis, Malcom Sargent and the Philarmonia Orchestra ( HMV Concert Classics). - 1959 recording.
This one is marked XLP on the back of the sleeve and I wondered what this meant ?

Thanks

"Extra Long-Play?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back